Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so excited!!! I see progress now >

so excited!!! I see progress now

so excited!!! I see progress now

Old 11-06-2010, 03:46 AM

That is fabulous! I really tried to get my husband to put an addition on the house and he would not go for it :( I really wanted a new sewing area that I could fit in to but alas... not going to happen :(

I am so happy for you!! You are going to love it when it's done!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by kapatt
:thumbup:

I'm excited for you too. I know that you will have a lot of fun organizing everything.

Today, on one of my email lists, I saw the two links below. They go to a woman's blog where she talks about her mother's sewing room. There are wonderful pictures to look at as she describes each section. I've got to say that her mother has an awesome mind to have come up with so many wonderful ideas for a sewing room.

Wow, I wish I had the money to design a room like that. I'm on a budget. I'm doing as much of the work as possible to save money too. But...wow. I wish I could have a room like that. My room will only be like 14x22 and I have to somehow squeeze all my stuff into that and make it look nice enough to work in...lol.
It starts here: http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/...cabinet-ideas/

and continues here: http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/...eas-continued/

Enjoy!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by hperttula123
Wow, I wish I had the money to design a room like that. I'm on a budget. I'm doing as much of the work as possible to save money too. But...wow. I wish I could have a room like that. My room will only be like 14x22 and I have to somehow squeeze all my stuff into that and make it look nice enough to work in...lol.
laughing...I just wish I had that much extra space to design a room like that. As I looked at her ideas, my brain started looking at ways I could do some of that without putting a lot of money into it. If I had the money to do it, I would change some things that she did. That great thing about seeing all of that is the ideas that it creates in us to make something that fits our needs.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Aw, LUCKY you!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 AM

How wonderful for you! Can hardly wait to see the pics! I've been broaching the idea of turning our carport into a sewing room, but my DH is not handy and it would really be expensive. Right now, my cutting board is in the office, my long arm takes up a 9'X15' former bedroom, and my sewing area is in a walk-in closet! I store some of my stash in my sewing area (messy: closet is 5'x8') and the rest under my long arm in plastic bins. Cabinets would be wonderful! And just having everything in the same room would be great!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak
How wonderful for you! Can hardly wait to see the pics! I've been broaching the idea of turning our carport into a sewing room, but my DH is not handy and it would really be expensive. Right now, my cutting board is in the office, my long arm takes up a 9'X15' former bedroom, and my sewing area is in a walk-in closet! I store some of my stash in my sewing area (messy: closet is 5'x8') and the rest under my long arm in plastic bins. Cabinets would be wonderful! And just having everything in the same room would be great!
That's where I'm at right now. I have 1 old junky metal sewing cabinet with one sewing machine on it, I have to use the kitchen table for my cutting mat, I have my other sewing machines put away(no room right now). I have three book shelf cabinets that have my stuff in it and they are all in different rooms(one is in my walk in closet...lol), and I have bins in almost every room with fabric in them. It's very frustrating to start something because I don't know where anything is and I have to dig for stuff. I have the potential of being organized, but just need the room to do it. I hope one day, you will get to have everything in one room....is there a way you could knock out a wall and make one big room??? That could be an option is your house is layed out the right way.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by kapatt
laughing...I just wish I had that much extra space to design a room like that. As I looked at her ideas, my brain started looking at ways I could do some of that without putting a lot of money into it. If I had the money to do it, I would change some things that she did. That great thing about seeing all of that is the ideas that it creates in us to make something that fits our needs.
I love the ideas she has, and it would be nice to do it like hers, but I'm thinking if one could get someones old cabinets that they were going to get rid of...cabinets are pretty easy to redo with a little sanding and some paint. It could be done, but I am just working mostly with what I have to save.
I bought table legs last year so I can make two tables for my new sewing tables and just slide some of the plastic bins with drawers under them to help minimize on taking up too much space. I have three book shelf cabinets that I can use too. They don't match, but I'd jsut spray paint them black and use them until I have enough money to get some bigger cabinets to take their spot.
I seen a tute that someone put up on here on how to make fabric bowls and another one on making little fabric baskets that I will be making too...so I can make them to match the room and make it cutsie.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 AM

That's where I'm at right now. I have 1 old junky metal sewing cabinet with one sewing machine on it, I have to use the kitchen table for my cutting mat, I have my other sewing machines put away(no room right now). I have three book shelf cabinets that have my stuff in it and they are all in different rooms(one is in my walk in closet...lol), and I have bins in almost every room with fabric in them. It's very frustrating to start something because I don't know where anything is and I have to dig for stuff. I have the potential of being organized, but just need the room to do it. I hope one day, you will get to have everything in one room....is there a way you could knock out a wall and make one big room??? That could be an option is your house is layed out the right way.
I could, but I have family that come from time to time and I have to have bed space. The long arm room is just on the other side of the carport and I would like to put a door through and make a large room out of the carport. Then I could put a TV and the futon in the long arm room and perhaps move the office (desk and computer) also in there and have a den/bedroom. Then the office could go back to being a bedroom. Probably wishful thinking, but I do have a plan! I have 3 married kids and 6 grandchildren so far. The older 3 are in college and beginning to bring home "friends", so I may have great grandkids in a few years. My big argument with DH is that "we need the room"!
Old 11-06-2010, 01:55 PM

I could, but I have family that come from time to time and I have to have bed space. The long arm room is just on the other side of the carport and I would like to put a door through and make a large room out of the carport. Then I could put a TV and the futon in the long arm room and perhaps move the office (desk and computer) also in there and have a den/bedroom. Then the office could go back to being a bedroom. Probably wishful thinking, but I do have a plan! I have 3 married kids and 6 grandchildren so far. The older 3 are in college and beginning to bring home "friends", so I may have great grandkids in a few years. My big argument with DH is that "we need the room"!
If you get the tv, futon, long arm, and computer in one room...would you ever leave???? Lol...that's why my computer is staying in the kitchen, so I will have to come out of the once in a while...lol.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:23 PM

How soon before pictures? No fair teasing!! :D :D :D

It's exciting just reading of your excitement. I really can't wait to see it!