Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
so fine is the only thread I can use.... >

so fine is the only thread I can use....

so fine is the only thread I can use....

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 AM

I've tested all the thread I have here and superior brands "so fine" is the only thread i can use in my janome 6500 without getting caught up in the feed dogs. is my machine really fussy or is it me? I just started fmq last month on my little brother with no trouble other then the small throat. now i'm trying to use the nice machine and i'm getting caught up in the feed dogs.

the previous owner used "mettler" thread and that's getting caught for me too and he has no clue what i might be doing wrong. will i just get better with practice? I'm using a topstitch needle, the tension is at 1 and i think i'm doing everything right. I'm off to buy so fine thread today, but i'm scared they will stop making it or something then i can't quilt on my machine LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 AM

Are you putting your feed dogs down when you FMQ?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie
Are you putting your feed dogs down when you FMQ?
yes. feed dogs down, tension at 1, quilting foot in place and speed on fast. is the thread you use that important?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:33 AM

Your tension might be too loose?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
that's what the dealer said to put it at. my brother was always at 3 so i'll try the janome at 3 thank you!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
omg i think you fixed it!!!!! i just tried at tension 3 and it's fine now!!! I love this board thank you so much :)
Old 06-29-2011, 08:49 AM

nope still catching. i even put a business card in there to cover the feed dogs to see if that would help. nope. I'm so upset. maybe this machine is just too touchy for me.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Did you check for lint? Even just a little lint will mess up a janome... Check the bobbin, the bobbin case, the dogs, under the dogs, the grooves of the dogs, etc. Even pretend there is a lot of lint and take your vacuum hose to it. stupid lint! ...speaking from experience.... stupid, stupid, dumb lint!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Also make sure your bobbin thread is in the litte slot in the bobbin case. That'll cause huge headaches. And don't just take the bobbin out to clean out the lint, take off the throat plate and take the bobbin case clear out. It gets really linty under there and Janomes don't like it!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:09 PM

I have a 6600 - and I guess they are similar machines. When I first got it I thought the machine was very finicky because it didn't like different threads in top and bottom - whether piecing or quilting. But over time, getting used to the machine I guess, I no longer have the problem.

I'm getting ready to quilt a landscape quilt and it will have lots of different patterns and thread panting - so I'm making lots of practice sandwiches. My first choice of thread was a 50 wt connecting threads "essential" with a Gutterman 60 wt in the bobbin. I've got the tension worked out - 8 - YES 8!!

So .. ignore the books and whatever anyone else tells you. Keep working out the tension as YOU sew. The tension is just as dependent on the speed of the machine and your hand speed as it is on the type of needle, thread choice, and fabric used.

And yes. Clean out the machine completely :)