Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So Fine Thread >

So Fine Thread

So Fine Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 05:03 AM

Default So Fine Thread

With my old machine, it wasn't fussy and I used Dual Duty for decades and didn't think much about threads. When I started using my friend's long arm, I got a bit more into threads but it is a recent thing just the past 5 years or so.

I just tried using Superior's So Fine as a bobbin thread in quilting my most current project, it was nice to work with and zero problems! I'm happy with my tension, my results, how my machine handled it. I'm going to get a couple more cones in useful quilting bobbin colors.

So here's the big question -- do you use it for your piecing bobbin or just for quilting?

I am a big believer in pressing and use a pretty hot iron if that makes a difference.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I use Superior Bottom Line in my bobbin on my DSM for piecing. It is a 60wt 2 ply so even finer than So Fine which is a 50 wt 3 ply. I press with my iron at the highest setting but only use a dry iron. If I need steam I spray with a mister bottle. I have had no issues of melting thread. I use aurifil in the top.

I'm not a huge fan of So Fine for quilting. I tried a cone in my LA when I first got it as everyone raved about it. There are too many other threads I like much better.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:24 AM

I've got to start somewhere! My system is a domestic sit down Bernina 820. Part of the reason my friend gave it to me was she felt it was fussy about threads, and my friend although she loves Berninas just didn't click with it. "Bernie" and I are working well together, it does have some thread issues but I think that is more along the lines of the manufacturing issues that made them drop this model than the threads themselves. Still, I have to admit that Bernie does seem to like Aurifil as a top thread.

When I was using the long arm, we found the pre-wound bobbins from Superior gave us better results than winding our own, plus the weight meant more was on the bobbin. That was a Pfaff with Size M and although I come across L and 15 bobbins, I hardly ever see M around town. I think those were probably So Fine, but I'd often get a couple of the individual prewound "sale" bobbins (where they send you whatever color) so I'm not sure.

The next quilting t-shirt I get will be "It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out".
Old 11-01-2019, 06:21 AM

I only use the So Fine thread for quilting I don’t use it for piecing but that’s not to say that I wouldn’t try it. The only reason I don’t use it is because I have cones and don’t even think to change it unless I’m using a color that jumps out at me. I also wind my own bobbins I’ve not tried pre wound bobbins again if I don’t have a problem with it why change it?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:32 AM

The Bernina has a proprietary bobbin that isn't a standard size, but it is extra large. No problems with the winding, it is simple easy and fast and doesn't require rethreading the machine (if you use a different thread).

I mentioned this model was not well received, it also comes with an embroidery module that I don't have. Personally, from watching my friends with embroidery machines, I'd want the convenience of prewound bobbins. But we get used to what we must do, so while it makes me cranky to wind 6 bobbins at a time, I've certainly done that too.

I have a bunch (but not all) of subunits to sew together today, I think I'll leave the So Fine in and try piecing with it. It will be a good test without being a huge time or cost commitment.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:58 AM

After I started using my OGM (Grace frame) I began being very particular about thread because of breakage. For me after a careful search and trying many threads, so of which are still sitting in a box, I went to Glide threads for both top and bobbin thread. It is even and smooth will far less breakage that I had with other threads. I stay with what works.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:21 AM

First thoughts, it is piecing just fine. I like the feel of the seam. But oh my goodness, with my vision issues I just can't see that fine thread at all, at least on the fabric I'm currently using (white So Fine on the back of a red with white dot). Better do it right the first time if I'm going to use it.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:01 AM

About Glide, actually that was my first choice to try. Locally though I mostly see it as prewound bobbins and not as cones/spools. Since my machine doesn't take prewound bobbins, I went to So Fine which I could buy locally.

I have this thing... I refuse to sign up for sites first. I've refused to join Pinterest because they want my information before they let me look. Won't do Zulily for the same reason, they make me want to look but I don't wish to risk my on-line security just to find out I don't like their postage or return policy or whatever. Going through the manufacturer, I must create an account for them before I get pricing information. Well, I don't want them to have my personal contact information if I don't make an order, so I'm not going that way and I guess I'm at a crossroads.

Only a couple spools for sale on Amazon, and I already have white which is what I'm using.

So, keeping in mind that I buy very little fabric and so it's not just a matter of throwing in a cone when I'm ordering something else, do you all have any recommendations of sites or chains that carry it?

edit: We do have a sew expo thing coming up, again, I'm not really thrilled with the idea of an hour's drive plus an admission fee, but I would guess I might be able to find it there. There is usually a Superior rep. The vendor list isn't out yet.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-01-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Another recent convert to glide. I used their pre-wound bobbins for machine embroidery already. Then found some cones at the LQS and a recommendation.

I bought some smaller spools here and experienced a prompt shipping time.

https://www.quiltedjoy.com/shop/prod...uilting-thread
Old 11-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I use so fine for Piecing and for top thread quilting- usually use bottom line for the bobbin. I’ve never had a problem pressing/ ironing when using these threads.