Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So slow down already! >

So slow down already!

So slow down already!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 AM

I am trying to heed that advice. When I do, my projects are much prettier!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Someone once said to me that no one ever says, "What a great quilt; it took you only 3 hours to complete!" Instead they say, "Look at the beautiful, carefully planned and sewn quilt!" or words to that effect. I have learned to slow down.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

HA..but at least you learned...ehhehe
I taught beginner sewing & quilting for years in Alaska. I will never forget this one older lady that brought her machine to class so I look at it..she says to me " it sews fine at first, but then it just gets all balled up and breaks the thread"....ok...set her up, unthread it, remove the needles, remove the bobbin and lets start over...put it back together, and then had her sit and sew...sure enough..it sewed fine for the first 39 seconds...then off she went...

I started laughing...and asked her to stop...I gently said, " Ms. Becky, this is a sewing machine NOT a racecar! Perhaps you need to just slow down a bit and it will be fine"..we ended up making a box her pedal went it and it had a "STOP" block so that the pedal could only go down so far...what a hoot!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:13 AM

Thanks, that's advice that I needed to hear! A friend told me about 2 weeks ago that I sew too fast, and I thought I was going pretty slow as it was!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

As humans we are great at giving advice, but terrible at taking our own advice. LOL
Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 AM

Sometimes I let the excitement of the next project or even the next step "pressure" me to work faster. I need to remind myself ... it will still be there.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I do go slow but sometimes I hit the pedal just right and machine goes very fast. I try to keep edges even and slow is the best way for me to do it. To each his/her own.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Oh yes. I needed to slow down. I could get a quilt top together in one day but I was always telling myself "Its good enough" And it was. But since being on this board and seeing the kind of things that were being turned out by people who took their time .... I decided it was no longer "good enough" , It had to be right. Now it takes me days and days to make a top. LOL
Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 AM

I have a speed adjuster on my Janome. I found out almost by accident that if I set it towards the slower end I enjoy the process so much more. Isn't there a song that says, "Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:32 AM

I saw your topice and my reaction was "have you been talking to my Mother?" She tells me this all the time but ya know what? I enjoy quilting, its my peaceful down time of each evening (when I get to sew). I look forward to each step and really enjoy it.