Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Solids Frustration :( >

Solids Frustration :(

Solids Frustration :(

Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM

No color is guaranteed to be a perfect match unless it's from the same dye lot so keep that in mind. It may be, but it very well may not be, especially if the dye lots are years apart. Solids can also be quite different looking when viewed lengthwise and crosswise.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:41 PM

I had a Kona color card and then when they brought out the extra new colours I bought a charm pack just of those colours, stuck a small square of each to white card and put it with the original card. (What was left just went in the "scrappy" box)
Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 PM

They have charm packs of just the new colors? I'll have to look for that. I don't even remember what year I bought my color card.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by jul12 View Post
I had a Kona color card and then when they brought out the extra new colours I bought a charm pack just of those colours, stuck a small square of each to white card and put it with the original card. (What was left just went in the "scrappy" box)
That's a good idea provided you can associate the correct name with the charm.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
This place is advertising over 182 colors of Kona Cotton in stock.

http://www.marmaladefabrics.com/bsol...-c-102_82.html
I buy a lot from Marmalade but they didn't have everything I wanted, either. Not this time and not last time.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:44 AM

I love Connecting Threads Mirage fabric for solids and backing. It just has enough of a design to make the colors not boring as in just a plain old solid.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 AM

I love shadow play - did not know about the Quilt Bug - thanks for info...
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 AM

I recently found out that my Joann's has a Robert Kaufmann Kona Solids color card from which you can special order whatever color(s) you want. I don't know if you can order less than a yard or fat quarters. I also don't know if you could apply a 40% coupon towards one cut of fabric in your order. Worth checking out. Also check out if Joann's online has the same option.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I bought a rather pricey Kona Solids card last year.

The first frustration I have with it is trying to get the colors from any single source. I made a quilt this year that called for several shades in cream through wheat colors and a range of golds. I think I wound up spending more on shipping and handling than I did on fabric as it was impossible to find everything I wanted at one place.

The second frustration is, having paid for the color card, I now find there are lots of NEW Kona Solids that are not on my card. Will I fork over more $$$ for the supplemental card? I think not.

Okay, I can live with the second frustration - my bad to think this would remain static for any length of time.

But trying to find a single source for a range of colors is really getting to me. Has anyone found a solution to this dilemma?
If you want Moda - WEBFABRICS carries every Moda blender (including Moda Marbles) that is made........and their shipping is reasonable........you can google WEBFABRICS for their website - and yes they DO ship internationally as well..........
Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 PM

I gave up trying to get all the fabrics I need for a quilt I'm making and decided to just bite the bullet and build a collection slowly over time and then one day I'll have all the colours I want. A local quilt shop (also sells online) has a Kona solids club. http://store.sew-sisters.com/stores_...3&Item_ID=7098