Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some men just don't get it >

Some men just don't get it

Some men just don't get it

Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Grand. Each respects the other. There is a tool for every job.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 PM

I guesss I'm luck - My husband bought me an old black machine at an auction even after he knew I had 3 old machines. He asked one time when I will get rid of the old - I smiled and said when I have the best quilting/sewing machine and a long arm on a separate frame.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:50 PM

Even then, I doubt if you will dispose of your old faithful. I have my mother's 1929 Singer, the one I learned to sew on. I made many outfits for myself, including my wedding dress back in 1962. After settling down in a permanent abode, my husband bought me a new Singer as a belated engagement present. I loved that machine, sewed many an outfit for our children, and even made new suits for a hard to fit man who was 6'5", had a 32" waiste, and a 36" inseam.

As time went on I bought newer machines which offered more features to employ when making clothes for my sons and daughters. One time both of my machines broke down. My home is in the top of Maine, and far away from repairmen. I must travel for several hours to get down to New Hampshire to the sewing machine service man who is very well booked. Sometimes I must wait for three weeks for my machine to even be looked at.

I took Mother's machine out of the closet. Do you think that I was able to go back to that machine after forty years? No matter what I tried I could not get back into the swing of using Old Faithful! I had become accustomed to a machine stopping when I took my foot off the "gas", but Mother's kept on going! There was no reverse. No stitch regulator. It floored me not being able to recapture the skills I once had.

That machine is kept, for sentimental reasons, and once in a while I enter it into an exhibit of machines of the past, and with it fond memories of how I once used it with ease. I am not in favor of throwing things out just because they are old and obsolete. It's akin to throwing out a much revered relative.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I have a 66-1 treadle, but mine has the "Lotus" decals - not nearly as pretty as the redeye decals. :) And the decals and paint are in pretty bad shape - I plan to strip the machine and repaint it antique fire engine red one of these days.

I don't know what parts you might need, but I go to Jenny at sew-classic.com for replacement parts - she has great prices and she's very fast and helpful, too. She carries all the standard stuff and will special order items for you whenever she can. I also send her motors to be cleaned and re-wired. HTH! :)

Have fun!
Elizabeth
I saw a Lotus treadle head at a sale this summer. I almost drooled over it ! perfect decals. at $300, I just could not do it, but I talked of that machine for days. Lotus is so much more rare than the Red Eye. but if the decals are gone, it will be beautiful in its' new dress ! too bad we can not replace the old decals. yes, these vintage machines are very fixable !
Old 12-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Yeah, right. It only needs a few parts like a motor and steering wheel, oh and don't forget real tires. :lol: :lol:
Old 12-05-2010, 05:06 PM

My DH has 11 tractors at last count. Do any of them run? Well, one sort of does. Then he also has all the bits and pieces to build one from scratch. :)

I have one old work horse that is early '70's vintage, which I use daily, a treadle that is "almost" ready to be used, (cabinet brought in from storage last weekend). I also have an older elecric that a gf gave me. I haven't had the time to check it out yet to see if it works, or maybe needs some help. I also have a serger which I use on occasion.

We both support the others' hobby. Makes conversation at the end of the day much more interesting when we each have something new to share.

Patti
Old 12-05-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Well then once you get yours running then you can use it for your work :)
Old 12-05-2010, 06:13 PM

My husband only made the mistake of throwing something of mine away once. Before I was a true quilter, I was a water-colorist, and I had a palette that I had had since 5th grade, I absolutely loved the palette, you cant get that kind any more. Well when I went to stay and take care of my dad when mom was in the hospital, they cleaned up my crafts room. Needless to say, they threw away the palette, boy was I irate, the palette was irreplacable, and to replace the water colors was $315, well everything had to be replaced, and it really hit him in the pocketbook. He always asks now.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:41 PM

No, they just don't get it.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:13 PM

This discussion reminds me of a time when a few retired friends were talking about sewing machines and one guy said proudly that his wife was still using the machine he bought her 50 years ago when they were first married. I asked him how many tools he had that were 50 years old and he looked stunned and said none.