Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Some men just don't get it >

Some men just don't get it

Some men just don't get it

Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 PM

I agree - Some men just don't get it. When I'd made and given quilts to our kids, grand kids and gr. grandkids, DH really expected me to totally quit making quilts. Silly man!!!

Derla
Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

Well once you get your vintage machine running you will work with it too and that machine will most likley outlife any of us.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts
my thoughts exactly, when you get to the point where you need a shed for your machines, then he can talk..
ROFL
Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 PM

This is my favorite topic tonight!! Thanks for making me smile...I still have a machine hidden in the garage!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Sadly I probably will not get it running. I really don't have any desire to actually sew on it, I just like having it. But he has no hobbies whatsoever so he doesn't understand. He does want to restore this old tractor but it's not really a hobby-he'll use it for actual work (he's a farmer by trade) and according to him, the old tractors work better than the newer ones. He traded in his newer big tractor that he uses for field work for an older model because he likes the older better. However, he did buy me my Janome 6600 (it was my idea but his $$. lol) and he's going to an auction next weekend to see if he can get me a chicken house so when we get chickens in the spring, they can live in style. :mrgreen: So he's still a keeper. :thumbup:
Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by gale
I have a Singer 66 redeye w/ original table that doesn't work (needs parts) but I love having it and it's pretty and cool looking. So I got the featherweight last week and told dh they had other old machines too. He says "you should see if they want your old machine". I thought he meant my old Janome and I said I thought they only sold vintage machines. He said no, your old black one. WTH? Just because I don't use it I'm supposed to get rid of it?

psst-he has an old antique tractor in the shed that doesn't run. His defense is that once he gets it running, he'll be using it for work.
I know what you mean, my hubby has an old tractor in the shed also that he is 'fixing'. He also has guns,guns, guns, does he ever sell any of those??? He can't use all of them, just like my sewing machines. So there ya' go!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 AM

What an interesting topic!!! When Karen mentioned guns, it made me think.......when there is a gun show I very willingly go, take a book and sit in the car and read while my DH spends as long as he wants looking at guns. He will point out quilt shops to me and doesn't mind waiting while I look. One of our local quilt shops had a sale a few years ago, a higher percentage off each hour. Between midnight and 1 a.m. everything was 50% off! The shop is 30 miles away and he didn't want me driving alone at that time of night so he took a pillow, went along and slept while I shopped. I will have kept him for 60 years in March.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
My husband only made the mistake of throwing something of mine away once. Before I was a true quilter, I was a water-colorist, and I had a palette that I had had since 5th grade, I absolutely loved the palette, you cant get that kind any more. Well when I went to stay and take care of my dad when mom was in the hospital, they cleaned up my crafts room. Needless to say, they threw away the palette, boy was I irate, the palette was irreplacable, and to replace the water colors was $315, well everything had to be replaced, and it really hit him in the pocketbook. He always asks now.
Wow...this took me back to my ex. I went home while my dad was having surgery...my ex sold my car while I was gone!!!

And yes, the replacement car cost him more $$ than what he got for selling mine. :D

Patti
Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

One of the cutest things my DH wrote to me when before we were married (he was in North Carolina and I was in Alabama) was, "I love you more than I do my tractor".

Don't know why your DH would want you to get rid of something you treasure. Keep it if you want and every once in a while, go to it and sit down and dream of what it was like.

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
hey some of us DO get it..... he he he. but I love my tractor tooo.