Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Someone give me a crown.. I'm the queen of wonky

I found a really easy quilt as you go table runner. Just strips and border. Well, I can't sew the strips straight for some reason. Now I have a date with Mr. Ripper. I thought this would be quick and easy.

Blog Entries
    No one cares if they're wonky as long as there are several.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes walking away from it and going back to it later helps. Sorry you have a date with "Mr. Ripper" tonight.

Blog Entries
    Here is your crown your highness(smile). Just consider it a new pattern creation and finish it up. It will be loved, believe you me. Thank you for sharing.

I have dates with Mr. Ripper quite often as well, arrrrrr.....as with any project I do I will rip three times then take a time out as to not throw a mad raving fit?!?! I usually start right up the next day fix the "problem" first I try and wonder how I screwed up three times the day before, GO FIGURE!!!!

Lets see it, we can tell you if it is wonky :)

The older I get, the more I appreciate "wonky!" "Perfection" is so mainstream. LOL

Blog Entries
    Now who is to know it isn't supposed to be "wonky"????? I happen to already have the tiara though...sorry!

Blog Entries
    And I thought I was the queen!! Can't cut s straight line with out the June Taylor cutting system!!

Blog Entries
    sorry to hear that. taking a break is my solution to things going wrong

I don't take Mr Ripper. I'm married to him!

"Mr. Ripper," haha! Hey that's an idea, think I'm going to name mine "Jack." Get it? Hehehe

If I mess up piecing then I just hand it to my husband to rip it out. He is my Mr Ripper! He has more patience for it than I do.

Power Poster
    The pattern says quick and easy just to lure us in...and we fall for it every time! Good luck with your date tonight.

Blog Entries
    actually Gwen Marsten is the queen of Wonky- and has numerous books out proving it- sorry---you don't get the crown.
    there are a number of things you can do to improve your straight lines- it takes a little prep work- but in the end saves lots of *un-sewing* time
    you can actually draw your seam lines onto the fabric with a ruler and a pencil- line up the edges carefully and stitch on the lines-
    you can pin---every couple inches---depending on how long the pieces are- and slow down-
    you can use a seam guide on the machine-
    but i've found usually slowing down and pinning makes a ton of difference. just because it says quick does not mean you have to sew as if you are on the freeway- be in a neighborhood instead- and make sure you are not pressing them out of shape- set the seam first then flip open and carefully press straight.

I would but it probably wouldn't sit on your head right, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    there are a number of things you can do to improve your straight lines- it takes a little prep work- but in the end saves lots of *un-sewing* time
    you can actually draw your seam lines onto the fabric with a ruler and a pencil- line up the edges carefully and stitch on the lines-
    you can pin---every couple inches---depending on how long the pieces are- and slow down-
    you can use a seam guide on the machine-
    but i've found usually slowing down and pinning makes a ton of difference. just because it says quick does not mean you have to sew as if you are on the freeway- be in a neighborhood instead- and make sure you are not pressing them out of shape- set the seam first then flip open and carefully press straight.
    great reminders!