Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Someone please talk me down!

Do what your heart tells you to do

I see "granddaughters" in your signature line. If the price is reasonable, you could be setting them up with a beautiful machine. If that doesn't work for you, I'll make a trip up and get them for my granddaughters. Philadelphia to Ontario is doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
    Was at a meeting last week and while discussinig door prizes for the annual meeting, the Secretary mentioned that she would be happy to donate things from her home - which she can't move into till all her grandparents' stuff is removed. She was describing things - then said"I even have two of those little Singers in the black boxes,,,"
    After further description, I turned to her and said "We have to TALK!"
    I really don't need another sewing machine - even if it is a Featherweight. I have my grandmother's 201, my Pfaff 1222e, my Janome 4800 and my daughter's Janome (more basic) - as well as a Singer 99 coming home to me this spring from Thunder Bay. But I have wanted a FW to take to classes, etc. Plus I can't really afford one right now ...
    Someone please talk me through this!

Sorry, no help here. Just bought my 12th machine - a 1938 221! But I NEEDED it!!! You do too!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Sorry, you are talking to the wrong person---Go for it. Featherweights are great machines---And they are so darn cute!

sorry can't help you , I have always wanted a FW, but can't find one or can't afford the price.
    Frances
    God is so good, I need to thank him everyday for his goodness.

No use asking this group for help with that.

Someone in my guild sent out an email that she had one for sale a few days ago. I'm guessing it didn't last long. When I bought mine the woman had two, but I only bought the one. Hubby encouraged me to get both, but I didn't see any reason to have two. That was years ago. As usual, he was right, of course.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Blog Entries
    They would be a terrific gift to give to your grand daughters and teach them how to use their own special machine. You will be not only giving them a great machine but also memories that they will have forever.

ps... ..if you get them and want to sell, I live closer than Philadelphia ....I'm just a little ways down the 401 from you

Quote Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
    Was at a meeting last week and while discussinig door prizes for the annual meeting, the Secretary mentioned that she would be happy to donate things from her home - which she can't move into till all her grandparents' stuff is removed. She was describing things - then said"I even have two of those little Singers in the black boxes,,,"
    After further description, I turned to her and said "We have to TALK!"
    I really don't need another sewing machine - even if it is a Featherweight. I have my grandmother's 201, my Pfaff 1222e, my Janome 4800 and my daughter's Janome (more basic) - as well as a Singer 99 coming home to me this spring from Thunder Bay. But I have wanted a FW to take to classes, etc. Plus I can't really afford one right now ...
    Someone please talk me through this!
    This gal is NOT going to talk you down. Now, go get the poor almost homeless machine!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

LOLOL NOBODY can say it better than that!!! lolol You came to the wrong place for help!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
    Seriously, this is like going to the bar for help in not drinking.

Wish I could say run, but it would probably be in the direction of the Featherweight. Sometimes you just have to take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves - I'd be kicking myself later. I think it just comes down to whether you want it badly. If you do, maybe you could make payments to her.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
    Seriously, this is like going to the bar for help in not drinking.
    We're all terrible enablers. I love my Featherweights, I have whittled my herd of them down to 4; even a lovely original tan one among them.
    Then there's the treadles and extra heads that fit the Singer cabinets. 18 years ago, I was the proud owner of one Bernina 1031, now the herd of machines consists of different brands and so much eye candy, a mere 17 machines. I have a $2500 plastic wonder, however the vintage/antique machines are what get the most use.

Sharon
    Last edited by purplefiend; 01-16-2013 at 05:00 AM.

QM
    I had one but like my little Janome better for taking to classes.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I guess I'm looking at this from a different perspective. This woman offered these items up as a *donation* for a door prize.

Sorry ... but they were offered as DONATIONS. That is what they should be.

The rest of you need to reread the first post. These things are supposed to be given out as DOOR PRIZES. Read what DogHouseMom has to say above.

Perhaps you'll be lucky and win one.

The rest of you need to reread the first post carefully. These things were meant for DOOR PRIZES.
    Read what DogHouseMom has to say above.
    Last edited by maviskw; 01-16-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I want one........please! So I am no help in talking you down.

Quote Originally Posted by OKLAHOMA PEACH View Post
    Sorry, woman if you don't hock your kids for it, I will.
    LOL, I take it you'd really like to have a FW, Peach!
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Most of the people here missed the whole point of the thread. The things were being donated as DOOR PRIZES. I would be leery about that. Someone should look at the things to see if they are "prize worthy". Would you want to win those things? I'm sure these things are good, but you need to be sure. The following is from another post. The only one who GOT the point.

I guess I'm looking at this from a different perspective. This woman offered these items up as a *donation* for a door prize.

Sorry ... but they were offered as DONATIONS. That is what they should be.

Perhaps you'll be lucky and win one. (from DogHouseMom)
    The way I read the original post is that there was a discussion about donations and the woman mentioned stuff she MIGHT donate-----------I didn't read it that she'd already donated. Then, the way I read it, is that our poster let her know she was interested in buying before the donation.

Maybe I'm the one who read wrong.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    The way I read the original post is that there was a discussion about donations and the woman mentioned stuff she MIGHT donate-----------I didn't read it that she'd already donated. Then, the way I read it, is that our poster let her know she was interested in buying before the donation.

That's how I read it too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutScraps View Post
    That's how I read it too
    I read it that way too.
    TwandasMom

Sorry...I am with the majority here...I would take them, provided the price is right, and give them a good home. They are obviously in a place where they are not appreciated. You will enjoy them! If you don't, call me and I will take them off your hands!!

Geesh I don't know why you are even hesitating ... if it is a good price, get it. One day you might want to give it to a grandchild or another family member ... will you adopt ME?
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post

This is how I read it also. Discussing possible donations is not the same as already having donated something.

Thank you all ... now I will have contact her. If I wait for her to contact me I just might have a heart attack. My DH already knows I'm certifiable
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Blog Entries
    Arrange payments if you must but don't let it go. You will not regret it. I adore my Featherweight.

If you do not get them, some sorry so-n-so will. They need a loving home!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast