Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Something For Inspiration >

Something For Inspiration

Something For Inspiration

Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 AM

My favorite places for inspiration are tile layouts at the different stores, and museums and old photos of architecture. Right now I have a plant that is vining itself all over the place, and it makes me want to do some applique.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:20 AM

LOL, I don't ever have to go looking for ideas. They seem to find me way faster than I can ever make them. That being said, I believe the best source of ideas that I love has to be here on the board. So much talent and creativity here, I am constantly amazed.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:31 PM

So far every quilt I've made has been given away. So my inspiration comes from wanting to make a quilt for someone, knowing their passions and favorite colors, and then looking for a pattern that will fit those passions and colors. It's worked so far. :c)

Donna
Old 05-17-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I recently joined an offshoot of my local quilt group that is focusing on art quilts. I'm not much of an art quilt person, but I joined anyway.

We have 12 members. Each member picks a theme word for the month. We each make a 12" quilt of our interpretation of the theme word. This month's word is "green". I started out by making a quilt that focused on the color, then I had a dream about jealousy, so I'm making a second quilt, and then a third idea came to me and I plan on making that one too.

I'm really glad I was invited to be a part of the art quilt group. It has really turned on my creative juices!
I too belong to a small group similar to your art quilt group, Peckish. We get together once a month to meet for show
& tell for the challenge topic for the month. Later if anyone is having problems or questions about something they're working on, we then brainstorm to see if we can help out. My group is a contemporary one, where there are no rules for making a quilt for the inspiration topic of the month. People play with paints, dyes, pencils, markers, lots of different ways to embellish a quilt and more. Some quilts have batting inside, others have Peltex or flannel. Sometimes we have special challenges where we are paired with another and sometimes not. This year we have a challenge where we brought a photo to be used by another person for inspiration for them to make a quilt & a FQ to be used in the quilt. We got paired with another, we don't know who, yet. My partner got my picture and I got hers. At our meeting this month we show our completed quilts. They had to be between 10" X 10" and 18" X 18", but didn't need to be square. All these quilts will be a "special" display at the MN Quilt Show in St. Cloud, in June.

In November we plan out the monthly challenges for the coming year. The easiest way we've come up with to do this is write down ideas on large sheets of paper. Everyone gets a certain number, say 5, stickers. Then they put the stickers next to the topics they like the best. The eleven topics with the highest amount of stickers are our challenges for the next year.

We have 32 members, but everyone never all comes. We usually have between 6 and 20. Some people make one quilt a year, others make most of them and some none. I look forward to this group more than my guild, because all the people are interested in the same kinds of things that inspire me.