Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts? >

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Swap Hosts

Good for you, Nancy!
I love going to museums to view the great masters, but I'll never create one myself. That's OK. I draw silly stick figures that meet my needs and make me smile.
I love listening to operas, symphonies and lots of modern music, too. But I know I won't be replicating it when I sing in the shower or in my car. That's OK. I have fun.
I love occasional fine dining, but I know I'll never replicate it at home. But I make a darn good meat loaf that my family loves.
The same with quilts. I have to admire the talent of so many quilters, but I know I'll never be able to replicate their efforts -- not even on the scale of a doll quilt. That's fine. I truly enjoy color, texture, and doing what I do. I'm happy being who I am with the skill set that God gave me.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
Am I crazy? I'm 56 years old and feel like I should 'grow up' but I feel most comfortable in my little world.
I think the BEST advice I ever got was from my (late) father. I remember this and do my best to live by it:

"You don't have a choice about growing old, but you DO have a choice about growing up."

When my dad died (unexpectedly, in a car accident, at age 50), I had to go claim his personal possessions. The list of the contents of his pockets read like something from a 12 year old boy. He had marbles, rocks, rubber bands, an army man, and a toy car in his pockets. I remember that toy car...he'd take it out and drive it around on things whenever we were stuck waiting somewhere.

I'll never forget that, and his advice...and I will NEVER grow up!! I carry that same toy car around with ME, now, and I drive it around on chair cushions at the doctor's office too.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I think the BEST advice I ever got was from my (late) father. I remember this and do my best to live by it:

"You don't have a choice about growing old, but you DO have a choice about growing up."

When my dad died (unexpectedly, in a car accident, at age 50), I had to go claim his personal possessions. The list of the contents of his pockets read like something from a 12 year old boy. He had marbles, rocks, rubber bands, an army man, and a toy car in his pockets. I remember that toy car...he'd take it out and drive it around on things whenever we were stuck waiting somewhere.

I'll never forget that, and his advice...and I will NEVER grow up!! I carry that same toy car around with ME, now, and I drive it around on chair cushions at the doctor's office too.
oh my gosh, I just love that your dad had such a content perspective on life,
and that you now drive the car
Old 07-19-2014, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post

This is so great! He always said that to you, lived it, and left it to you so you'd remember. What a gift!
Old 09-18-2015, 01:18 AM

Sometimes it's so therapeutic to re-read threads like this. I'm so thankful you all took the time to join in. Wishing you all a glorious day. 💗
Old 09-18-2015, 02:23 AM

Happy Hobby Quilter here! No aspirations to be otherwise. Not competitive, not entering contests, not worrying about comparison to others. Stress free sewing!

Sandy
Old 09-18-2015, 02:27 AM

Amen. Life is too short. Do what you like/love and love what you do!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:11 AM

I'm definitely with you! I quilt the best as I can, but probably never be in the running for a Blue Ribbon. But I do have fun!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:41 AM

We might be kindred spirits ... along with a lot of others who commented here. Over the years I have cross stitched, done crewel work, taken painting, pottery, ceramics, doll making and stained glass classes. I've tried jewelry making and paper bead making, crochet, and probably other crafts that I can't recall right now - Ha. I just love the "creative" process. Even though some of these "crafts" were short lived for me, I always walked away with a greater appreciation for what goes into the making of them.

I decided about 2 years before I retired that I wanted to learn how to quilt and wanted to primarily quilt for charity. While I love to see the wonderful quilts at shows and those posted on this Board, I prefer to do my own thing often creating my own simple patterns with a more modern twist and colorful. I love color. My quilting and designs make me happy, satisfy my creative itch, and provide warmth (and hopefully comfort) to others. It's a great feeling. I don't want the stress of perfection...just the joy of creating and giving. Continue making what makes you happy (even if it's purple cats - Ha). The joy you get from that will shine through in your work.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Please don't overthink your creative side. What does it matter why you like this pattern or make dolls? Unless you are ready to make changes and are in a growing stage of your life, it is kind of pointless to torture yourself.
I love primary colors, childlike designs and also making a doll here and there too.

I hope you don't get me wrong. I think sometimes we do need to grow up. But, why stymie your art outlet? Gee, I like your work. Besides, my favorite people are fun childlike people with a great sense of humor no matter what their age.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-18-2015 at 08:44 AM.