Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts? >

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 AM

Hey, I'm 73 and just like you. My quilts are far from perfect, but the ones I have given away have been given with love and the recipients seem to like them, so I just keep going. I choose bright, bold colors, wild and crazy sometimes, and will probably never make a brown, tan, beige, or maroon quilt. Why should I use something that will bring me down? Up with color!!
Thats probably why I didn't quilt in years past, the fabrics were kind of boring.

let's hear it for COLOR!

(I still have an ongoing discussion with my DH about painting a serape on the kitchen ceiling...he is dead set against it; I just have to convince him it would work)��
Old 09-18-2015, 09:08 AM

I don't have a strong preference for one sort of quilt over another, and I'm wondering if I will someday find my one true love in quilting, or if I'm just naturally fickle. My favorite sort of quilt seems to be the one I'm looking at at any given moment!
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 AM

Nancy, glad you came back to listen to the rest of us yammering that we are just like you!

You are most definitely not crazy. I'm a year older than you, and I decided recently that if all I ever make are four-patch quilts with straight-line quilting, it's perfectly okay. I love looking at everyone else's gorgeous work too, but I can't put myself under stress for my "fun hobby"!

I'm trying to take the same outlook on life in general. For instance, I'm trying to lose weight, but I ate a few M&M's today and I refuse to beat myself up about it. I spend money on my sewing stuff that I probably shouldn't, but it makes me happy, and I do keep it reasonable so I think that's okay. I spent many years tending to both my parents until they were both sadly taken by cancer, and that experience gives me the incentive to WANT to enjoy myself now while I can. And if that means I just bought another handbag kit (true!) even though I've already made many handbags, oh well! I answer to nobody but me!

And just one aside to Sewnoma... your story about that little car made me tear up, truly. It's lovely that you have those memories of your dad.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 AM

I like to make the same kind of quilts for the same reason as you. Bright, happy, imperfect drag-everywhere quilts for kids I never meet. I get such joy imagining their reaction and curling up with it or wrapping their doll in a little one. I have no aspirations of entering a show and that doesn't make me feel "less than" at all. But I love to gawk at quilts that are ribbon winner or show quilts. I appreciate the craftsmanship and sheer artistry. But in my sewing room it's all about making gift quilts.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:17 PM

My philosopher hair dresser once told me our task in life is to find out what makes us smile. Those who have figured it out are ahead of the game.

Last edited by Genden; 09-18-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I think knowing and being happy with yourself and what you do IS being grown up--many people never accomplish that.
Never in a zillion years would I have thought of this. This is FABULOUS!

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
You have to do what you love, it's what makes you unique.
Another truism here.

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Butterfli19, be proud of "your master pieces" but never lose the thrill and comfort of "your little world".

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
The very first thing we would do as soon as we got into our motel room was to jump up and down on our beds, simply because there were no "grown-ups" around to tell us we couldn't! LOL!Donna
I love this! I especially love this because we would be punished for jumping on the beds. Maybe I'll go do that right now...

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ View Post
This has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks for starting it.
Everyone here has made this thread. I'm still reading it now.

Originally Posted by Taughtby Grandma View Post
I'd like to come play at your house!! I like those same things.
I would love you to come over!

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
Amen Sister. You should do what makes you happy. One of my brothers was visiting from AZ, whom I hadn't seen in a very long time, mainly because of distance; but as we sat down to eat dinner I happen to glance at the calendar and realized that it was his 50th birthday. He seriously stated that he was not going to have any more birthdays; but he would reduce his age by one year every year until he started to act so juvenile he'd have to start adding the years back on. I think he had the right idea, especially since 2 years later he developed lung cancer and was taken from us. Take time to smell the roses and do what you like to do.
This is bittersweet. I'm sorry about your brother, but love the attitude he adopted.

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana View Post
The other day I asked my son if my grandsons needed a new quilt for their beds. He took me to a closet filled with the quilts that I have made for them. He said this is our closet filled with love. He just gave me the best prize I will ever win.
Best compliment ever. You must be so proud.

[QUOTE=RedGarnet222;7320748]Please don't overthink your creative side. What does it matter why you like this pattern or make dolls? Unless you are ready to make changes and are in a growing stage of your life, it is kind of pointless to torture yourself.

omg! That is great. I will simply do my best to stop torturing myself. This is so great! lol

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
My philosopher hair dresser once told me our task in life is to find out what makes us smile. Those who have figured it out are ahead of the game.
Well this is interesting...
Old 09-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

This is not a challenge nor a competition for you. So do what makes you happy. I bet over time you have learned new things and improved on your technique. Maybe some day you will decide to try something new. Until then, enjoy what you do.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:30 PM

You go girl and have fun!!