Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts? >

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Never grow up, do what you love. There are enough grown ups telling us what we have to do and how we have to be. Please don't get caught up in it! By the way, I am in my 60s!
peace
Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 AM

Life is short...do what makes you feel happy. It's easy to enjoy making bright happy quilts to put a smile on a child's face.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 AM

Im a utility quilt maker. No interest in perfection for shows etc. I make quilts to use and enjoy.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I'm happy with the quilts I make and never thought to not be. Others opinions about my quilts do not matter to me at all.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 AM

Sounds perfectly reasonable, to me. I'm 61 and have been sewing for well over 50 years. Years ago, I would make little lace-trimmed garments and intricately sewn craft items. When I first started quilting, I made various blocks, with future samplers in mind. Nowadays, I'm happy to just sit back and 'coast' with the simplest of patterns. No rush, no stress, just cruising along and relaxing with my machine. None of my present work is brag-worthy but it makes me happy.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 AM

I think knowing and being happy with yourself and what you do IS being grown up--many people never accomplish that.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:33 AM

I don't make wonderful quilts. I do make some nice wearables, but my favorite part is the creativity. I like the process as much as the finished product. Do what makes you happy. That's all that's necessary.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:42 AM

Do what makes you happy. You remind me of myself... I am a single mom divorced now for 12 years and as my kids are growing I am finally getting time to sew more. (I always did, but not as much). I just look at everything I do now as "practice". Someday I hope to be blessed with grandchildren.. and this grammy is going to make her grandbabies the bestest blankies ever But back to the topic...I always remind myself of all these the "great artists" like Picasso, Van Gough and the like... the pictures that hang in museums .. if I had painted them I would have thrown them out and no one ever would have seen them... but those pictures are "masterpieces" and they are world famous.... so that means I must not have very good taste and so I refuse to judge my own work
Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 PM

I have been stuck on purple, cats, and daisies all my life, (and sometimes blue.) I have been sitting here thinking that surely I can enjoy making something else....but...ya know, why should I? I like what I like. I can remember one time that I was helping decorate our teachers' lounge at my junior high school...I am a retired teacher, 39 years of teaching. One of my fellow teachers said..."Well, Dina, we sure can't have you in charge. We would have purple, cats, and daisies." I guess she is right, cause that is what I like. So my tastes have never matured.

My point, do what you like, what makes you happy. I am sure glad I read this thread. Now I will pull my purple fabric back out of my stash and go for it. (I honestly put it back, thinking I OUGHT to sew something different.)

Dina
Old 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM

You have to do what you love, it's what makes you unique. My quilts aren't perfect by a long shot but, I am just as happy with them. I have a fellow quilter friend who is a perfect quilter, that's what makes her happy. I would be tormented with her perfections and she would be tormented with my flaws. That's what makes it fun.