Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts? >

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

I'm there with you. I made porcelain dolls for years, from start to finish including their clothes. When I started making quilts I found the bright and cheerful fabrics my favorites. I bought so much novelty and child fabrics that I started making pillowcases for the ConKer Cancer organization. I may be older, but I'm still young at heart.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Years ago there was a book called "I'm ok, you're ok". What I learned from it was that no one else makes you happy -- you make your self happy. No one else makes you sad, it is your expectations of others that make you sad. Do what you love doing -- you are worth it! I like looking at the masterpiece quilts, they inspire and challenge me to do better on my own quilts - but will that be me, no, but I'm happy!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Years ago there was a book called "I'm ok, you're ok". What I learned from it was that no one else makes you happy -- you make your self happy. No one else makes you sad, it is your expectations of others that make you sad. Do what you love doing -- you are worth it! I like looking at the masterpiece quilts, they inspire and challenge me to do better on my own quilts - but will that be me, no, but I'm happy!
if that book is "Born to Win" that you are recalling, it is still in print & is a really great self-help book!
You're NOT crazy, just doing what you want--how many of us get to actually do that?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Life is too short to be doing stuff that makes you miserable. Age and chronic disease taught me well! Keep making beautiful, happy quilts, if you are happy it rubs off on those around you, so it's a good thing.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:40 PM

Well I'm 55. I play tennis. When I play in league I always wonder why 50 year olds are trying to be so competitive. I'm never going to be that great but so what. I love it.

I quilt too but I'm never going to be that great. I'm not going to bury my threads, life is too short. My kids and husband like what I make for them and I love it.

It's the journey not the end point...
Old 07-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Other quilters here know my signature color is lime green. I consider it the new neutral
Old 07-13-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Life is short...do what makes you feel happy. It's easy to enjoy making bright happy quilts to put a smile on a child's face.
I agree 100% !!. My quilts are not perfect at all but they have been made with love and joy I have a few favorites hung on walls but most are used. And if some times it is one of my dogs to use it, then even better.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Life is too short to be doing stuff that makes you miserable. Age and chronic disease taught me well! Keep making beautiful, happy quilts, if you are happy it rubs off on those around you, so it's a good thing.
Ditto..ditto
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM

My quilts are made to be used. I do the best I can but I know they have flaws. Funny thing is that the ones I have gifted are admired & loved. That is what is important to me. I love to sew, it keeps me happy & hubby wants me to be happy.
I don't think I'll ever do a prize-winning quilt, that would be very stressful for me. I just want to have fun
Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Am I crazy? I'm 56 years old and feel like I should 'grow up' but I feel most comfortable in my little world.

I'm 55 and have been quilting since i was 7. did all types, but to be honest, i just can't pass up novelty types of fabrics. you know all to well what i mean, those must have kiddie fabrics. in hot pink and lime or aqua and purple. oh heck, all of them. do what makes you happy. there's a place in this world for 30's repro quilts, war quilts and our fabulous kiddie quilts with their bright colors. i NEED to use them and they're great. one year i made over 50 kids quilts using my kiddie fabs and donated them. i know those kids loved it more than those other colors. I just seem to be drawn to those bright puppies like some people are drawn to the muted ones. That's why the fabric store have such a variety. someone once told me to make gownup quilts. i have a few. but my heart belongs with those brights.