Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts? >

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Old 07-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

Amen Sister. You should do what makes you happy. One of my brothers was visiting from AZ, whom I hadn't seen in a very long time, mainly because of distance; but as we sat down to eat dinner I happen to glance at the calendar and realized that it was his 50th birthday. He seriously stated that he was not going to have any more birthdays; but he would reduce his age by one year every year until he started to act so juvenile he'd have to start adding the years back on. I think he had the right idea, especially since 2 years later he developed lung cancer and was taken from us. Take time to smell the roses and do what you like to do.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Sounds like my life. Always pleasing someone else and not thinking of myself. This is what was taught to me as a child Now I try to do what I want/like at least with my quilting. Enjoy what you do for we don't need others to tell us what and how to do. [hugs]

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
But it's such a contrast to what my whole life has been! "do this, say that, wear that, speak when spoken to", I even married a man like that, but we are divorced 21 years now. Still single, no luck with relationships but I think I'm too serious sometimes and truthfully, even though it would be nice to share my life with someone, I don't think that's in my stars. But otoh, you don't meet someone until you find you own self, so maybe...

Pennif - that's an interesting statement: "you get tested on what you have not yet had a chance to learn"
Old 07-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Make no apologies for who you are and what brings you joy. Some quilters are constantly striving to learn new methods and top their previous quilts. I have quilted for 35 years and have been at a dead standstill for years and years as far as my machine technique goes, no matter how much time and energy I put into it. I do the best I can and that has to be good enough. I forgave myself a long time ago for not reaching perfection, otherwise I would have stopped quilting entirely. Don't let anyone rain on your parade, including yourself.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM

I have so enjoyed reading these posts, many more than once. And to think I almost backspaced it out because I was a little embarrassed about not being, and not wanting to be, better than.

You have all inspired me and given me a bit more confidence. While I was arranging my squares earlier - sparkly multi-butterfly fabric, yellow polka dots, and a bright green with yellow woven in - I was smiling and thinking of how happy it made me feel, that it was perfectly fine to be happy, and that I'm pretty low maintenance seeing that I can find joy in fabric, lol.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
I'm not a fabulous quilter and don't think I ever will be. So many are magnificent in their detail and workmanship that I am in awe and even though I would love to say "I did that!" it's not me. My favorites are the simple, happy quilts, full of vibrant color and cheer, many of which are those made for kids. The personality of fabrics made for kids just makes me so happy.

The same with dolls. I see art dolls and I had to make one, but you know what? She's an art doll, very imperfect, but sort of stand-offish. You can't pick her up and hug her, change her clothes or confide in her. I like her, but she doesn't make me as happy as the ones that end up going to someone who loves them.

So...I'm just going to continue to make happy dolls and fun quilts.

Am I crazy? I'm 56 years old and feel like I should 'grow up' but I feel most comfortable in my little world.
You are not crazy. You have to be happy with what and who you are. Because if your not you will never be happy.
I probably will never make a quilt that would win a prize. But the people I give them to are happy.
I pray for the person I make my quilts for.
The other day I asked my son if my grandsons needed a new quilt for their beds. He took me to a closet filled with the quilts that I have made for them. He said this is our closet filled with love. He just gave me the best prize I will ever win.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 PM

I am the same way. So I say enjoy. When I go in a different direction I am always anxious to get back to the colors and style I like.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

I know exactly how you feel. I see these amazing quilts posted on the board and know that I will never reach the level of many of these ladies. I just love your post and self analysis.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 AM

Nancy, I am 68 and know just who I am. I like what I like, do what I want and at 64 found a wonderful man who wants me to do just that. It's never to late. Enjoy your life the way you like it. If you want to have a purple house - do it! A simple quilt- do it! A doll that comforts you- do it! The only one who matters is you. If you find a man, give him the same gift you give yourself - to be who and what he is. Happiness to you and your freedom from the should be, should do life you are escaping.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:01 AM

Quilting Nana - Best Compliment Ever!

Sally - you have given me man hope , lol.

To add a little more to this, google images for "quotes on being yourself" - great stuff there, from Dr. Seuss to Coco Chanel.

Last edited by Butterfli19; 07-15-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 AM
dms

I think we all have our own comfort zone. You've found yours. You can appreciate others workmanship and don't feel mean-spirited toward them. Sounds healthy to me INHO.