Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Son of a quilter needs help!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Modred189 View Post
    Thanks, all, for all the recommendations so far. I think, after perusing some of these links, I am looking more for an at-home stand, and these two caught my eye:
    http://www.homefurnitureshowroom.com...ductItemsImage

http://www.homefurnitureshowroom.com...ductItemsImage

Particularly the first one.
    I really like the first one, also!! I had one like the second one and you can display 2 quilts on it and see them well. I sold it to my neighbor who has her grandmother's quilts to display.

I have been searching for a quilt ladder because you can display more quilts that way. I found these people online and intend to order from them as they are custom made to your specifications.
    http://robinsonswoodcrafts.com/quilt-ladder.htm
    Karen in Kentucky

Please listen to Jan in Va. She has the best advice on this. And KyKaren1949's link to robinsonswoodcrafts is the perfect place to go. I have no affiliation with them, but I would really love to own one of their ladders. I think your mom would be very pleased with one of those for displaying at home or elsewhere. I have many racks like you are looking at and what Jan says is so true -- you really only see the one that is in front. I know you want to surprise mom, but this is one time that I might advise showing her pictures of all of these and letting her choose. She'll love you for all the time, thought, and energy that you are putting into this gift.

http://robinsonswoodcrafts.com/quilt-ladder.htm

http://www.quiltracks.com/

http://www.craftgard.com/quilt-display-stand/

And here is a post on this board that maybe you could duplicate and have one made:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t151306.html

Good luck, we can't wait to see what you decide one.

Carol B

Very nice choice. Can you also take her shopping at a local quilt store{LQS} for fabric with a gift certificate you have given her? You are so thoughtful.

Banned
    I love the quiltcurio coffee table the best.

Blog Entries
    I personally agree with Modred189 on the mission/craftsman style quilt rack for his mother. The piece of furniture will show off the quilts and looks like it belongs. It looks sturdier than other designs I've seen. Couple it with a Barrister's bookcase set and Mom could still display other quilts to a degree while showcasing on the rack. I would see if there was a local woodworker or a family woodworker who could make the piece as that would be even more special. I like the idea of the Barrister bookcase set as they could hold folded or rolled quilts and you could see some if not all of a design through the front glass doors. Could put a UV protective shielding/coating on the glass to protect from light damage.

I have seen baker's racks used as quilt racks, the quilts are folded but still show enough to see each one. You can display as many as 10 quilts this way. I have a rack like has been discussed...my Dad made it for me...and I find it is mostly in my way. Of course I would never get rid of it since my Dad made it...but it really does take up so much room and show so little of the quilt. Just my opinion.

From all of us mothers everywhere, thank you for being so kind to yours...not all of us have been so fortunate with our children.
    Michelle Guadarrama

I like the first one that you posted. I agree, your mom needs 2 - one for home and one for quilt shows. It is very toughtful of you toget your mom a quilt rack.

I have one of the Kerry's Kollectibles on the right. It is a small photo,but is beautiful!! They travel to quilt shows and sell them, or you can contact them directly. I have my antique quilts from my Mother and my husband's grandmother and a few newer quilts in mine. A friend of mine has two side-by-side. You really need to look at these! In my opinion, they are the "Cadillac" of quilt racks. I have others, but this is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandish View Post
    What a thoughtful son you are! you've already been given some good advice. I also like these "quilt chests" and it's another option:

http://www.quiltcurio.com/

Again, an internet search will net you some producers - mostly custom/hand made. I saw a couple "in person" in a store in Shipeshewana, IN, and they are very nice.

Blog Entries
    I love the glass cabinets. They would keep the quilt clean and they are beautiful. They have some with beveled glass on top that are really pretty. I see them at the quilt show and would love to have one. My mom has a quilt rack that hangs 3 quilts similar to the ones you have picked Modred189. And, I like them hung on curtain rods although I have put in an order for a wooden wall display shelf/rack type to be made by my son.....some day.

I don't know what your Mom's decorating style is, but my favorite quilt rack is an antique ladder.

I found my quilt racks at the local Goodwill. I would love to have a 'ladder.' Maybe some day. I think you should pick out some of the ones you have been looking at and let your mom decide. She will love the thought of you trying to find what she likes best. Good luck.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

As others have said, you really need to match the quilt rack to match her decorum. If it it were me, I would like to help my son/daughter pick out a quilt frame for my home. You have to do what feels right for you. You know your Mom better than all of us. Good luck, and be sure to let us know your final decision.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I really like the first one as well. You are a very thoughtful son to be so diligent in your search.
    I like the first one, too, but I think that is a preference for furniture style. You would need to be mindful of that in making a selection.
    Pat

You are such a good son! I'm sure she will love whatever you buy.

Personally I like the 2nd one you posted the link to (buttler). You can see more of the quilts because the sides are open.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

The BEST way to display a quilt is on a bed.....turn every few weeks. This keeps the fibers and filling even.
    If you choose to hang them be sure to rotate the ends every 6 weeks or so to keep them from bundling the batting.

Buy your mom the one you think she will like best....you know her better than we. I have an old wooden ladder I paid $5 for and I lean it up against the wall to display quilts. I turn them often to keep them from bundling the lining.

Good Luck!

delma

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I bought a metal 4 rung hanger that hangs from the wall and am not happy with it. I have no wall space for it. I agree with all the women who suggest a ladder. If my kids bought me one of those, I'd be in heaven!!! It would be my pride and joy!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Oh, boy, I love the glass chests and coffee tables. Now I want something I didn't know even existed.

Blog Entries
    I like the first one on this page.

http://www.quiltracks.com/quilt-rack...4294269244.cfm
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

What a great question! I learned so much. And what a wonderful thoughtful child. She will love you to pieces (sorry about the pun!) again.

Your mom is really fortunate to have a thoughtful son like you, I also cast "my vote" for the curios/glass chests for quilts, have seen them at shows and have been coveting one for awhile.

You are a good son. I hope my son gets on this board someday to ask for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I really like the first one as well. You are a very thoughtful son to be so diligent in your search.
    I love the first one as well - both are beautiful. Truly a gifted mom to have a wonderful, thoughtful son!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast