Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sorry I've been offline >

Sorry I've been offline

Sorry I've been offline

Old 01-19-2024, 07:15 PM

Default Sorry I've been offline

Sorry I've been offline for so long but have been having some family issues. Every thing seems to be settling down so I can get back to my IMPORTANT quilt projects.

A Question on quilted wall hangings------
What size do you all like? I've been asked to make one for my neighbor's daughter that is graduating this June (2024). Was going to do a quilt but she is going into the Marine Corp so the quilt will not be useful for a good while.

It will say WM GRAD WITH HONORS 2024

or

WEST MONROE HIGH -- GRAD WITH HONORS JUNE 2024

I'm not certain which her mother will want.
Colors are Red and dark Navy Blue
Thanks.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:08 AM

My wall hanging sizes are all over the place. It sometimes depends on where I want to hang it and others on the pattern. You could put the letters down the left side and stars (?) down the right side for a long WH or make it square or rectangular. Sorry, I don't have a better suggestion on the size. But welcome back. I'm glad things have settled down so you can get back to the important things in life - like quilting:-)
Old 01-20-2024, 04:27 AM

If this is not a surprise, I might ask the graduate about favorite colors or if she leans toward the traditional or the modern style. Particularly with a H.S. graduate life changes rapidly from plans to actuality. I was a college academic advisor in another life. I would hesitate to make a quilt focused on future plans because those plans change. You could honor her graduation with honors on the label as well as her plans to enter the Marine Corp. Stars was a good suggestion. There are many stunning star patterns that would reflect her stellar academic achievement and would continue to be fitting for what ever life brings to her in the future.

Size as mentioned by Lena1952, the size can be just about any thing. My three children all got graduation quilts from their aunt and the quilts were about 40" or 45" square. The size seemed small at first but with the smaller size allowed her to make a more intricate quilt. My children, now with their own homes and families, have these lovelies hanging proudly with other home decor. They are on display a point of pride in the work of their aunt's hand.

Nice to see your logo again. So glad that life has settled down enough for you to do dive back into what brings you happiness and challenges you choose to take on.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-20-2024 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:13 AM

My last wall hanging was for my husbands man cave. I asked him where he'd like to hang it, then I measured the space and made it based on the wall space available. I would hold off on making a quilt or a wall hanging, plans change. My neighbors son was going to join the Air Force. He didn't pass the physical, he has flat feet and allergies. I've heard other stories of people wanting to serve our country and have found out they have medical problems, bad backs, etc.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:23 PM

Did the mother ask for the words:
WM GRAD WITH HONORS 2024 or WEST MONROE HIGH -- GRAD WITH HONORS JUNE 2024

If not, then I'd ask the mother what she thinks her daughter likes in colors, or perhaps what kind of a wall hanging quilt design. My thoughts are that if it says: WM GRAD WITH HONORS 2024
or WEST MONROE HIGH -- GRAD WITH HONORS JUNE 2024, it's not going to hang on a wall for very long, and instead end up in a box of old school things or the like.

While at the moment in time, it's exciting to graduate, but it's more about moving on and a 'yeah, I'm an adult now' kind of thing. It would be nice if the wall hanging would be more of a reminder that it was a graduation gift, that she can use in her own home someday as a cherished wall hanging, instead of a "school memento" wall hanging that will be stored away as it is times past.

PS. Welcome back, your posts have been missed!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-20-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:17 PM

I really agree with Quilts for. Maybe you could put a label on the back of the quilt with the “graduated…” made by you and the date etc
Old 01-21-2024, 04:25 AM

As for size, for my wall hangings, it depends on the shape. Do I want it narrow and long, or do I want a square.

For the long and narrow my go to is about 20" x 36, or perhaps 24 x 36. If I need to drop down in length, then I'll adjust it to 18 or 20 x 28.

For the square, I usually go 36" x 36" there about, or if I want to hang it in a smaller area, or 28 x 28. I'll go as little as 24 x 24.

It's really up to you. It's all in the hands of the quilter!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-21-2024 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:47 AM

Update:

She's a "girly girl" and already in the Corps. The Corps is already paying her around $700/month. She will have to attend Boot Camp after graduation but she may get a 30 leave -- my brother had the leave but he was not paid. However, that was a few blue moons ago. I will be doing one that says West Monroe High -- Graduate of 2024. This is what she wants and said it will hang on her bedroom wall at home. All she cares it have is that she is a graduate and a Marine.

Attached Thumbnails wm-wall-hanging.jpg