Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sorting Fabric >

Sorting Fabric

Sorting Fabric

Old 07-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

The first thing I did when I organized was to get rid of any fabric I no longer wanted. I sent some to friends, donated, etc.
Then I put yardage on bolts, some of those little white cards for maybe a yard or two. For fat quarters I used clear boxes and sorted by color family.
Believe me, when I got rid of stuff it made it so much easier! And of course I still have a ton
Old 07-15-2017, 12:50 PM

I too have anything over a yard on the comic boards, I have 2 flat basket trays that are the perfect size for fat quarters. My scraps I do cut most into 5 inch squares and 2 1/2 stripes since those are the 2 sizes I use the most for my charity quilts. Any big scraps I have a seperate basket for and that is my go to spot for bindings and borders on small quilts.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 AM

I fold fabric into 5 inch squares and but then on end in Art Bin boxes. The same for charm squares. I have totes full of scraps that everyday before sewing I spend about 5 minutes cutting into strips or squares and store them in plastic drawers for each size.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:08 AM

I love having my fabric on comic boards, easy to see, they are in cupboards. I organized anything over a yard on comic boards, some by theme, some by color family, some by season. Anything over 4 yards are on bolts. I think whatever makes sense to the individual is the perfect system.

I personally can attest that scraps multiply when the lights are off and we are asleep :0)

I keep one of those inexpensive folding mesh baskets under my cutting table pieces less than 1/2 yard are tossed in there and when it is full I give it away. Pieces less than two or three inches go into the trash basket.

There have been some quilters who have shared that they are going through tough times or newbies here that I've offered my overflow to.

I don't do well with clutter and would hate spending time organizing scraps by color or size. I admire those of you that can use Bonnie Hunters or similar organizational skills, I'm just not that person, plus I rarely make patterns with tiny pieces. Probably has something to do with these old eyes of mine. I rarely keep anything smaller than 1/2 yard. I keep one drawer with 1/2 yard or so cuts and when there is no more room I go through that quickly to make room and toss the excess into the mesh basket for someone else who can use them.

I do participate in the monthly Birthday swap of 2.5" candies however when I have the smallish clear view bin filled I will probably stop and if I haven't been inspired to using them within a year or so, again I will find another home for them too.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:54 AM

I used to not cut my scraps because I didn't know what size I would need, but found I wasn't using them. They were not inspiring just thrown into a bin. So, I spent a few days cutting them into the biggest square or strips I could get out of each piece. I didn't cut any piece that was over 8", left those intact. Now my scraps are in separate bins by size and I have already turned a bunch of the 2" squares into a scrappy Granny Square quilt that I am in the process of quilting. The process of cutting and sorting helped me know how to use them.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:59 AM

I did this about two years ago and it has really made a difference. It forced me to shed fabric I would never use - gave to friends who teach at senior centers. I don't usually buy fat quarters so the few I have are just stacked on a shelf. I have given up saving scraps that I know that I will never use. Happy sorting!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 AM

I keep my larger pieces in lawyer's cabinets. I have 1 cabinet for general colors, 1 for children's fabric, 1 for holidays and specialty fabric and 1 for civil war and 30's (I also have a tub of recently donated fabric that I still need to put up). My smaller than 1 yd cuts are folded and stacked in smaller lawyer's cabinets by color). I love being able to look at my fabric through the glass instead of going through tubs. I realize not everyone is lucky enough to have room to do this...
Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I put all usable pieces on the comic boards. Fat quarters are sorted and put in the 3-drawer plastic chests that I got from Wal Mart.