Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sorting Scraps by Color >

Sorting Scraps by Color

Sorting Scraps by Color

Old 04-07-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I sort my tonal by colors and the rest get sorted by type of fabric such as floral, repro, batiks, kids prints, plaids, etc.
just got home from guild meeting with Vicky Beasley as the program presenter on scrap quilts. She had some amazing quilts and rarely buys more than backing--which she doesn't like to piece. She uses the same system--color, then type/genre, then width of strips.

She also said that since purchasing an accuquilt cutter that things have really gotten speedy for her.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Power Poster

I sort by color also and keep mine in a plastic storage box (one for darks and one for lights). It's fun to rummage through all the colored bits.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:34 AM

Your scraps look so pretty sorted by color. Love what I see of the greens!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:59 AM

I try to store fabric scraps flat in Pizza boxes. If they are used boxes, I line the box with freezer paper. I don't like to go to scraps and have to iron them before I can cut them. My strips are in a candle box: long and thin. They don't get wrinkled that way.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:16 AM

I recently sorted by color as well. I have mine in photo boxes so they are out of the light and the interior is acid-free. I never realized how many I had until I sat down and sorted. Now I see shy some say the scraps breed overnight.

I prefer a more controlled scrappy but hadn't found anything that really jumped out to me until I saw a block by Elizabeth Hartman called Mod Mosaic (http://www.ohfransson.com/all-projec...c-quilt-blocks). They look really fun to make. She offers guidelines on her process but leaves it rather open so people can modify based on available scraps and size preference.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I try to store fabric scraps flat in Pizza boxes. If they are used boxes, I line the box with freezer paper. I don't like to go to scraps and have to iron them before I can cut them. My strips are in a candle box: long and thin. They don't get wrinkled that way.
I like the pizza box idea a lot. I have a old china cabinet that I store fabric in and the pizza boxes would work well in it. I could label each color on the edge of the box. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
I recently sorted by color as well. I have mine in photo boxes so they are out of the light and the interior is acid-free. I never realized how many I had until I sat down and sorted. Now I see shy some say the scraps breed overnight.

I prefer a more controlled scrappy but hadn't found anything that really jumped out to me until I saw a block by Elizabeth Hartman called Mod Mosaic (http://www.ohfransson.com/all-projec...c-quilt-blocks). They look really fun to make. She offers guidelines on her process but leaves it rather open so people can modify based on available scraps and size preference.
I like her scrappy style with the thin sashing. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post

Thank you for posting this link! I really like her style and so nice she has provided a pattern/method.