Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spacing quilting >

Spacing quilting

Spacing quilting

Old 01-18-2024, 06:40 PM

Default Spacing quilting

I'm quilting a baby quilt with a walking foot, using diagonal lines. The pattern is Jacob's ladder and I really like the way the quilting emphasizes the diagonal lines in the pattern. I would like to just do the diagonals in one direction, but wonder if I have to also do them in the other direction as well (perpendicular to the current lines). If the instructions on the batting say I can quilt lines up to 8 inches apart, do I also have to cross those lines in order to hold the batting firmly in place? This is a bay quilt which will be washed often, and I do try to build durability into my work. Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2024, 09:14 PM

I would sew the other direction, too. I think it will get skewed if the lines are only going one direction.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:01 PM

I would deffinately sew in the opposite direction on something like this. It will help to stablize the batting so it can take a lot more washings. You wouldn' t want it to fall apart within a year or so after all the work you have put into it.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:22 AM

If you are only quilting eight inches apart on your diagonal, then do the opposite direction too minimum. First for strength of your quilting. I always assume baby quilts will get washed more often. Then for looks. It may appear slightly "unfinished" without the opposite direction of quilting. I would also suggest quilting more heavily again because it will be used with differently than even a throw quilt. It is for a baby. Keep your diagonals, crosshatch style, but move the lines closer, perhaps 2 inches. After washing once and the natural puckering happens those lines will all blend in and hold the piecing firmly in place for lots of use and loving.

I have taken to doing channeling on baby quilts about an inch apart. Easy and mindless quilting that does not hide the pattern or piecing. My other go to option is a vertical wavy free motion style line that moves from one inch apart to about two and a half inches apart. The wavy lines do not echo each other but just flow up and down the quilt top.

But after making these comments and suggestions, do what you feel is appropriate for this quilt, your work and what you feel looks the best. My take largest suggestion is that 8 inches may be good for the design, but perhaps not so good for a quilt that will be laundered more often and hopefully used every day snuggling a special someone.

\
Old 01-19-2024, 09:20 AM

Hi Synnove, I've been in this situation too, where I'm quilting with diagonal lines and really don't want to do the horizontal perpendicular lines but worry about spacing. I just don't like the boxy quilting line look. One option that has worked better for me is to do the cross lines not 90 degrees, but 60 or another angle, so the quilt pattern looks more like diamonds. I agree with others that you want some cross lines in there, or have the lines closer together for durability. Also -- in the end the quilt lines won't be as noticable as you think if you use a blending color thread. You want this quilt to last for years!
Old 01-19-2024, 03:13 PM

I did a hexie quilt that I quilted on the diagonal one way only. It was a single line of stitching about and 1 1/2" apart. Its been fine. No problems.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:48 PM

I've quilted a couple of quilts with lines going one way only (horizontal). I did more wavy than straight, but pretty similar concept otherwise. They both turned out fine. In both quilts, I did it to enhance the design of the quilt.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:20 PM

I only quilt on the diagonal, both directions, 3 inches apart on all my quilts.I'm an odd quilter and usually ignore the piecing, and think of the quiltilng as a separate part of the process. Tried wider rows and didn't see any demension to the quilt so sticking to 3 inches.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I've quilted a couple of quilts with lines going one way only (horizontal). I did more wavy than straight, but pretty similar concept otherwise. They both turned out fine. In both quilts, I did it to enhance the design of the quilt.
I think I gave a wrong impression when I mentioned the instructions on batting saying you can quilt up to 8 inches apart. I'm actually quilting lines 3 inches apart. It does enhance the design, as the Jacob's Ladder pattern is diagonal. I'm really happy with the way this is turning out, and I think it will be fine without lines crossing in the opposite direction.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:33 AM

Yea! So glad you found the quilting plan that fits you and your quilt. Quilt on and show us a photo of your end results so we can cheer for you and your finish!