Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions For Iron >

Suggestions For Iron

Suggestions For Iron

Old 01-18-2024, 06:08 AM

Default Suggestions For Iron

Needing a new iron for quilting. Steam or Dry? What brand gets those creases out of fat quarters?
Old 01-18-2024, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Hello. Welcome to the board. I have used a lot of irons over the years. The last one I bought is my favorite so far. The Reliable Maven. Lots of steam on demand and no water in the iron. No drips or sputters. It is five years old and still works great. If you want the absolute best check out Laura Star.
Old 01-18-2024, 06:26 AM

I have a steam iron on my big board but for the small iron next to my machine I use a spray bottle instead of iron - I think it works better. If I have a problem fold line on my big board, I use a spray bottle there as well. I find that spray bottles that hair technicians use are better than regular spray bottles...they spray a finer mist.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:19 AM

While many do not, I really like steam on my iron. I also like an "extra long" cord. I drop my iron a lot (or it falls off the ironing board) and have hard floors... they don't last all that long, maybe 5-7 years. So I usually buy a pretty cheap iron and don't get too attached, it is not worth it to me to have an expensive iron. While I can understand that auto-off is a safety feature some of them go off way too fast and don't heat up fast.

The last iron I got was this one, met my price point and is ok. I'm happy with the temperature and steam/spray. I'd like a longer cord and a larger foot print. Just bought it this summer and already fell off the ironing board and the cover to the water filler is slightly damaged...
https://www.amazon.com/Conair-CNRGI1.../dp/B07Q3SV8YM

Old 01-18-2024, 02:41 PM

I never use steam for pressing pieces, but that is because I have my fingers right down there and didn't like getting steamed fingers. Been quilting without steam for 10 years and don't miss it. But now I want to expand and get back into garment construction and will need a steam. I'm on my second Oliso and love, love, love it, but I won't put water into my quilting iron.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:49 PM

I have two steam irons, but I have never used the steam on them. I prefer to use a bottle of water with a spritz sprayer. The irons I have and really really like are:

My large iron: Rowenta Pro-Master X-Cell with Stainless Steel Sole
and my smaller iron: Oliso M2 Mini Project Steam Iron with Solemate
Old 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
While many do not, I really like steam on my iron. I also like an "extra long" cord. I drop my iron a lot (or it falls off the ironing board) and have hard floors... they don't last all that long, maybe 5-7 years. So I usually buy a pretty cheap iron and don't get too attached, it is not worth it to me to have an expensive iron. While I can understand that auto-off is a safety feature some of them go off way too fast and don't heat up fast.
I agree although I like the off feature as I get easily distracted - leave the room to answer the phone or have lunch or whatever. When I return, I'm relieved the iron turned itself off. I use steam and when the block won't lie flat, I lay a plastic ruler (8" or 10" square) over the warm block to flatten further. I also occasionally use Best Press or Flatter when I iron.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:53 AM

Love my Panasonic cordless iron.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:12 AM

I am definitely a steamer, but I also want to be able to turn the steam off without having to drain the water.

The ceramic soles found on many irons really does help it glide.

Generally, the higher the wattage, the hotter it's going to get - thus getting more stubborn wrinkles out. That said, I was recently pressing several FQs and found that heat and steam were not getting the fold lines out. I had to spray them with Best Press. I laid one down, sprayed lightly, stacked another on it, repeat. I did that with maybe 8 or 10 at a time and it worked beautifully. By the time I got to the bottom of my stack, those only needed a quick once over as the fibers had relaxed and warmed from the pressing of those on top.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:13 AM

Ha! I have Irons as in plural. For the final press, I use my Rowenta. It has a stainless steel plate, is heavier than my others and also gets hotter. During construction I will use a combo of finger pressing, my small craft iron, and a cheap light weight Black and Decker. I like the craft iron which only has about 1 and 1/2 inch sole but has an attached stand that I can use. So I set a wool pressing pad to the left side of my machine and give those short little seams a press as I piece. When the block is done, I give it a final press on the ironing board with my Rowenta. The Black and Decker I will use when I am tired or my arm is sore as it is lighter to handle.