Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of JoAn's

If you need zippers and can't find them, I order them from

zipperstop.com

I just bought special 120 inch zippers to make headers for my quilting machine. They are great.

Makes me sad to hear about JoAnns. We only have a little store. It is the only regular fabric store. The quilt shops are so spendy.

Mumz from Utah

The JoAnn in bankrupty ius not the same JoAnn in stores and online. The bankrupt is JoAnn Fabrics.
    Hearing all the talk about the shore makes me miss Jersey all the more. Was born and raised in Jersey and have lived in Indiana for over 30 years now. Grandparents lived in Sea Bright for years and I was at shore many many times during the summer. Remember the long lines of traffic of people coming from "The City" as my grandparents used to say. Also remember hearing them complain about stores, gas, etc. raising prices in summer and forgetting the locals who used them during rest of year. Sure do miss the salty air of shore.

For all you gals who miss The Shore, I'm going to take a deep breath of the salty air for you, enjoy a sausage sandwich from one of the stands and then later a creamy custard cone. Sure wish you could join me, May in Jersey

ahh, the calories, ENJOY! Take a sniff for me.

It's also "DOW" to the shore no matter from where one is coming. I also live along the Jersey coast......and also fight the weekend crowds...but we have those crowds most all the summer. I live in Spring Lake.are you close by?

the Joann's for me are about 12 miles south or we must goabout 20 to the north. Have you been to Mouse Creek Quilt shop in Monmouth County (on the border of Ocean Cty) on Route 9 in Howell? Very nice shop and lots of classes.

Ask for Claire...talk again soon.....mj

OOPS....it is DOWN to the shore...missed a typo key.........

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    For all you gals who miss The Shore, I'm going to take a deep breath of the salty air for you, enjoy a sausage sandwich from one of the stands and then later a creamy custard cone. Sure wish you could join me, May in Jersey
    There was something about the salty air - after the long drive down the shore, getting out of the car and smelling the air. Ahhh, memories!!! :D

I live in the middle of NC and have never been to a Joanne's or even seen one. are they only in certain parts of the country?

For what it's worth... I haven't heard that any of the Jo-Ann's in NY are closing. We did have one local store that closed last year; there are still three more nearby.

Gosh, I hope they don't close ours!!!! It's the ONLY place you can buy things like zippers! We have a Hancock's but it's pathetically small and doesn't carry hardly anything. wow! [[[Pray]]]

Hi, could you send me the URL on that announcement?

I did see they are in Chapter 11. But then who isn't in this economy

Oh, I sure hope not. Ours just opened and they sure do a business.
    We waited a long time for one again. There was one about 20years ago and that went out and now is back.
    mej in WI

Are you talking about Joann Fabric and Craft Store or another Joann's? About a year ago it ws erroneously reported on chennel 5 (Boston area) that one of the stores was closing and it wasn't. Where is it stated that Joann's is in chapter 11? Is that what you meant/ Their stocks are near $20 and they keep opening stores.

Another "Jersey Girl" checking in. I'm in Hudson County (Giants Stadium, Lincoln Tunnel to NY) and we have NOTHING. The closest Joann's is about an hour away. Friends and I have written suggesting this would be a good area for a new store, especially following the closing of Rag Shop. There were 3 in our area and they were always busy. We all got the same response -- they are concentrating on areas where there is no Walmart fabric department. Well the local Walmart stopped carrying fabric and sewing supplies and still nothing from Joanns.

Someone mentioned a nice LQS in River Edge. It's "COZY QUILT SHOP" on Kinderkamack Rd. just off Rte 4. It's excellent, but of course a LQS can't carry every notion, including non-quilting ones, so there is still a need for a store which addresses the needs of all sewers, not just quilters.

Wish you all a Happy 4th, and wish I were going DOWN THE SHORE!!!

I miss Jersey shore too, we used to vacation there every summer. Now I live north in Boston area and we are NOT having shore weather! We have only one Walmart near which still sells fabrics. The weird thing is that there is a Joann's just up the road which is always busy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    I miss Jersey shore too, we used to vacation there every summer. Now I live north in Boston area and we are NOT having shore weather! We have only one Walmart near which still sells fabrics. The weird thing is that there is a Joann's just up the road which is always busy.
    is that the joanns' you work at?

Quote Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    Hi Charleen, I live north west of Boston too, in Worcester county. How far are you from there?

I live in Norwell

[quote] yes it is.

[quote]Sorry, I meant north as in Boston versus PA/NJ

I tried buying fabric online 1 time. The color wasn't even close to what it looked like on the computer! I have bought a couple of kits & they are Ok but don't try to match anything! The tiny Joanns a couple of miles from me closed over a year ago. Now I go to one about 20 min away. It's not a Superstore but it's good & used to have a very nice supply/variety of Keepsake Calico's. Now, they have about 1/2 of that & the rest is Debbie Mumm & other 'designer' fabrics at 2-3 times the price! What a bummer! :? I have bought some at WalMart & if you look around, they have some very nice stuff! I only buy fabrics on sale at the quilt shops because it's so expensive so if Wal Mart and Joanns go out of business, I'm sunk! :( I hope it's not true. Joanns just about has a monopoly here in Mi since Hancock is gone. Good buying! Happy quilting! :D

Hi, the info about Joann's is Joanne Fabric, a fabric company which did close, Not Joann Fabric storees, Yes, the amount of Kepsake Calico has changed, there are several groups of very vibrant colors which have a good "hand" Coupons do come in very handy for those.

Quote Originally Posted by sewin'sam
    I tried buying fabric online 1 time. The color wasn't even close to what it looked like on the computer! I have bought a couple of kits & they are Ok but don't try to match anything! The tiny Joanns a couple of miles from me closed over a year ago. Now I go to one about 20 min away. It's not a Superstore but it's good & used to have a very nice supply/variety of Keepsake Calico's. Now, they have about 1/2 of that & the rest is Debbie Mumm & other 'designer' fabrics at 2-3 times the price! What a bummer! :? I have bought some at WalMart & if you look around, they have some very nice stuff! I only buy fabrics on sale at the quilt shops because it's so expensive so if Wal Mart and Joanns go out of business, I'm sunk! :( I hope it's not true. Joanns just about has a monopoly here in Mi since Hancock is gone. Good buying! Happy quilting! :D

From what I have read its stores in Flordia (if memory serves me right. )they plan on closing some and next year opening new ones.
    That happen here in my area (Austin TX) about 2 years ago they closed two small stores and then opened one big one, a year later they opened another a lot closer to my house. I dont think we really have to worry too much but time will tell. hancocks has done the same thing and walmart is closing out their sewing dept only in the slow moving stores. luckly mine is staying for now......
    Tammy
    Central TX.

Happy quilting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast