Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Speaking of JoAn's >

Speaking of JoAn's

Speaking of JoAn's

Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM

Been to Mouse Creek, very nice quilt shop with a good selection of fabrics and supplies. Gal who does my hair told me about this shop just before they opened as the owner is a friend of hers. Claire was very genrous and donated a ton of fabrics for the pillowcases my guild makes for kids in hospitals. Many of my guild members have taken classes there and some are learning to use the long arm quilting machine.

Charleen and Sandi, We often visit family in Rockland MA and I used to shop at The Fabric Place, another fabric store that has closed.

May in Jersey
Old 07-03-2009, 02:42 AM

Here's hoping you don't lose your local JoAnn's!! But if you do, try on line buying. I have never been disappointed with fabrics I've bought on line, and while part of the fun is handling them, placing pieces side by side - the whole total sensory thing, on-line buying has normally turned out less expensive for me........good luck!!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:51 AM

I LEFT ORLANDO ON SUNDAY BUT DROVE HOME. HIT TRAFFIC IN SC AND PULLED OFF EARLY FOR THE NIGHT. GAVE THE GRANDDAUGHTER AND DAUGHTER TIME FOR A NICE SWIM, A GOOD DINNER AND EARLY TO BED TO BE BACK ON THE ROAD THE NEXT MORNING.
DAUGHTER WAS ATTENDING A "SILENT WEEKEND" FOR THE INTERPRETERS FOR THE DEAF........
NEEDLESS TO SAY, GRANDDAUGHTER AND I DIDN'T GIVE UP TALKING AND WE FOUND A WONDERFUL QUILT SHOP THERE IN ORLANDO.
IT WAS WORTH THE TRIP !!!!!!!!!

MJ IN SPRING LAKE
Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 AM

TO May in Jersey...

Glad you also like Mouse Creek and we have another coincident ....
my hairdresser works part-time there now. She quilts as beautifully as she is talented with doing hair.

Maybe we might bump into each other some time while shopping. wouldn't that be a coincidence?

Have a happy 4th......to all you ladies reading emails this morning.
the crowds have already started invading the shore..good time to stay at home and sew.......

MJ in Spring Lake, NJ
Old 07-03-2009, 03:04 AM

TO...Tammy

This past winter Joann's closed in Fort Pierce to open one of their very large stores near Jupiter..at least another half hour's drive south.

There is also one of their super stores in Melbourne...a good 3/4 hour drive in the other direction.

It's a good time to go with friends and make it a full day with lunch along with the shopping.

Mj in Spring Lake, NJ

Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 AM

to may in new jersey

there is a wonderful joann's in heightstown. that's the princeton area. i don't know where you are, but it's about 40-45 minutes from me in central new jersey. it's right on route 1. if you want an exact location, pm me. i have their address somewhere. i also have a joanns right down the road from me, about ten minutes, and i won't go there if they give the fabric away (well, maybe then). i don't know how they survive. i can't imagine them all going under. some are brand new and terrific and crowded all the time. i make the trip to heightstown and it's worth it. when i go into manhattan, i allow extra time for the garment district. the rest is online. plan ahead for online sales.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:20 AM

The JoAnn's close to my house closed in February (4 blocks away) and moved to a Super JoAnn's location about 30 minutes away. I bought approximately 1.5K yards of cotton at 70 to 90% off during the 4 month sell-down. On the final day I took everything left that I could use at $.15 a yard (another 2.5K yards). I also bought all the ribbon for $.05 a spool. There were no "dreg" fabrics in either batch, and the last group included some home furnishing fabrics that I can use for other things (maybe 100 yards). Those I'll use for Walker Bags for the Veterans. The cottons will go for quilts and patient bags for them.
I wasn't fond of putting that kind of money out in such a short time, but because I fund my own sewing for the Vets it was worth it. I lived pretty lean those months while I was buying all that fabric. But sure glad I did it.
I'm not happy with the new "Super" store. It's mostly crafts and the fabric section is smaller in proportion to what was in the old store. I don't have a problem with the fabrics because if I want quilt shop quality, I expect to pay more. I find that even in the LQS I have to look carefully at the quality of the fabric now. The only other fabric store in the area is Hancocks and the store has a musty odor, and most of the ladies who work there are anything but friendly.
So, I will remain faithful to JoAnn's where everyone is friendly and helpful, and still has the best coupons around. They honor Michael's and A.C.Moore's coupons, and if the item is on sale already, they even give me my AQS discount.
I don't believe they're going out of business any time soon. My two cents - for what it's worth.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 PM

wow that is the first i have heard of this !! :( i hope not all of our small quilt shops in town have closed up and jo anns and hancocks are the only thing left !! i asked at jo anns if they were closing and the girl told me she didnt think so she had not heard i dont know if maybe they dont tell the help in advance or if they are not one of the chosen to close i will be sad abd so will many others if this happens they always seem to be busy when i am there
Old 07-03-2009, 03:28 PM

I understand that only some of the JoAnn's are closing. I was in our local shop a couple days ago and asked the checkout lady there if they were closing. Was told no, not their store, in fact, they were getting a lot more merchandise in and are making room for it.

I can understand this in our area as Wal Mart has discontinued their fabric department. Now when we want a zipper or elastic, we must go to JoAnn's.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:11 PM

Butterflywing, The Joann's on Rt. 1 is the one that I went to this week for the long zipper I needed. One of our DGDs is waitressing at The Blue Rooster Cafe in Cranbury during her summer break and DH and I went there for lunch on Tuesday, charming little cafe. Anyway, on the way home we took Rt 1 for part of the way so I could stop at that Joann's. Not sure what town it is in. DS#2 and family live in E. Windsor and we often have lunch with them at one of the restaurants on Rt. 1.

PS: Looked at your profile, I'm from Brooklyn too. Been in Jersey for almost 50 years but still say I'm from Brooklyn. LOL! May in Jersey