Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
speaking of magazines....what do you do with them? >

speaking of magazines....what do you do with them?

speaking of magazines....what do you do with them?

Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 AM

They take up a lot of room, am thinking what to do. I would like to go through them, now, my issue, do I remove what I want? then give them away. It seems uselss to copy them, I mean I paid for them once. I am cleaning things out, my pre spring, maybe the only cleaning, there are two stacks downstairs. The only other thing I can check is the guilt guild, they have a raffle table each meeting night, maybe they could go on that. Just hate to put them in the recycling.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 AM

sell them. I buy them used all the time.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 AM

You could also bring them to your hospital waiting room or doctor offices for the ones you really dont want. I take them to guild and let folks take them home or I drop them off at the places above. Good luck deciding
Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 AM

I have given them to the quilt guild, freecycled them, PIF'd them. It gets easier to do once you start doing it. At first I didn't want to part with a single one of them, but then realized, they wouldn't be worth anything, if I could never find what I needed.

I have about 40 archived magazines...and try not to collect any more than that. Everytime my mom gives me a few, I get rid of a few. I quick subscribing 2years ago because it didn't seem like there was anything new being printed.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

My Grandma, Aunt and I pass them around.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:56 AM

There are usually two or three patterns in a magazine that I can see myself doing. The rest? NO WAY NO HOW! So I bought a bunch of binders, with some clear sheet protectors and spend an evening or two each year doing some slicing.

My cut up magazines go on a shelf and the next time I set up to cut up the magazines, I take one last look to confirm my choices have not changed and then they are chucked.. Well not exactly... we have an office shredder and when the magazines are shredded we use the result as a mulch around trees to keep the weeds down. Top it with decorative bark and we've kept the mowing chores down!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Banned

All of the ideas are great ones :-)
Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 AM

I take out the patterns I want and pass on to my friends. Also I give them to my Quilt Guild.

Lots of people sell the patterns on EBay. Good luck
Old 01-30-2011, 07:19 AM
bj

I usually take them either to the guild or take them to Goodwill.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 AM

If you cut up a magazine, then throw it away. There is NOTHING worse than getting a magazine because of a certain pattern or recipe in the index and finding someone cut it out -- especially if I paid for the mag!!! If you really want to keep portions of it, then make copies of the recipe or patterns and leave the mag intact.

If you're trying to get rid of magazinies other than quilt pattern mags, try the hospital waiting rooms. If you're trying to get rid of quilt mags, then either sell them on Ebay or take them to a Senior Center or Goodwill or call the LQS and find out where a guild is.....there's more than likely someone in a guild that would love them. Our local senior center had TONS of them for sale for $.50 each at the last quilt show. I bought 1/2 a ton!!!!