Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Speaking of s/m trouble..... >
  • Speaking of s/m trouble.....

• Speaking of s/m trouble.....

Old 03-08-2016, 08:26 AM

Every time I have that problem I switch to a larger needle, and that fixes the problem.
    Old 03-08-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    If uou are in the market for a new machine...take a look at the Janome 8900. Made for quilting.
    I agree. I went from a Viking D1 to a Pfaff to my 8900 and love it the best.
    Old 03-08-2016, 01:51 PM

I bought a Viking Diamond before they were manufactured in China...and I would not take twenty thousands dollars for it; I too love mine
    Old 03-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Update...took to dealer this morning...I hr, one way! Besides the funky stitch, I had decided maybe it was linty, so cleaned the bobbin area, but when I put it back together...it ate the fabric...so I just unplugged, grabbed my purse and off I went! Dealer/owner was kind...she told me the "trick" of removing/cleaning/replacing bobbin the correct way....that should be in manual, but not! Then I showed her the funky blanket stitch....answer was....must be fusible used, or needle to be replaced, even though new, try another. I didn't even mention that my old Viking "took over" without new needle and no funky stitches........so see why BL is not my wisest investment.........will be " shopping" soon........
    Old 03-09-2016, 04:07 AM

So what is "the trick" that the dealer told you about?
    Old 03-09-2016, 05:23 AM

Sorry you had the hassle with your Baby Lock. I just bought a Baby Lock Soprano and love it! My daughter has a Baby Lock Ellure and loves hers too. Hope you'll give your Baby Lock another try as they really are good machines.
    Old 03-09-2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by beadywoman
    So what is "the trick" that the dealer told you about?
    I hope I can explain in " words". To disassemble you know you unscrew that metal part, and usually that plastic part come with it...now the bobbin and the case are there. Remove bobbin and case...clean....oh btw they use can blown air...so to put back...put back that little black case(or whatever the tech term is)...making sure the dot matches the arrow...THEN screw back the metal top part-then drop in bobbin, then plastic part...I was putting bobbin back before screwing on metal and plastic and it gets hung up on some small metal thingamajig underneath(?)...... Anyway that's the secret!
    I shall never forget that!
    Old 03-09-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbaby12
    Sorry you had the hassle with your Baby Lock. I just bought a Baby Lock Soprano and love it! My daughter has a Baby Lock Ellure and loves hers too. Hope you'll give your Baby Lock another try as they really are good machines.

Well I hope your daughter has better luck than I. Does hers take bulky seams ( 4/6 layers).....this one will just sit there and make knots or it will jog over, stitching a crooked seam...just what one does not want in a quilt seam! And how does she like that 1/4" foot...does hers catch the fabric on the left side as she sews...I ended up getting the generic plastic little foot from Nancy's notions..true 1/4 and no hang up.
    .....and I'm thinking all machines that are made today are basically the same engineering/design and have the same weaknesses.......
    sad thing is when I talked to the Viking dealer and told her about how I really now appreciate the old V plus1, she said to just keep up on cleaning out lint, and do whatever one can at home because to take it in for repairs could be a problem...getting parts is almost impossible....so that means another good thing bites the dust......
    Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 AM

Sad! So darn sad that all of our greatest industry has now vacated the premises and gone to China. Not much we can do about it now. Too bad we weren't watching and being aware of what was happening over the years and done some really cautious thinking and stopped the evacuation of our own manufacturing. We didn't want to pay the price in dollars, so now we are paying in sloppy and cheap construction, and even cheap isn't cheap any more.
    Old 03-09-2016, 07:23 AM

The Ellure and the Ellure + were not the same machine. Though the case was different, the original Ellure was the same as the workhorse Brother PC6500. I had both. The Ellure + changed some things especially for embroidery. You didn't have to use cards, and could use USB.

The machines were all right, but I still prefer vertical bobbins. The buttonholes can't be beat, though.