Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Specialty rulers >

Specialty rulers

Specialty rulers

Old 02-23-2024, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Default Specialty rulers

I consider any ruler that is not a square or rectangle to be a specialty ruler.

I have looked at some that have so many lines, that I think I would never figure out how to use it.

For me, one shape per ruler is easier for my mind to handle. Sometimes, I am easily confused.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:46 AM

He, he, me too. I have watched a few Fon's and Porter shows recently and they keep using a small ruler with open squares but very thick looking ruler all in between. Looks very difficult to see markings on but they seem to do well enough with it. But that ruler will never be on my list. I actually culled out my ruler stash recently but then ended up buying the large 60 degree diamond ruler from Krista Moser. I had the small one already(four of this small one would make the larger diamond.) I hope to use it soon....
Old 02-23-2024, 12:25 PM

I try to stick with basic rulers. If I like a quilt but it requires a special, non-standard ruler, usually I'll pass. Spending $30-$50 on a ruler to use in one quilt just rubs my fur the wrong way. The one exception I made was for the Quick Curve Ruler from Sew Kind Of Wonderful. Those two ladies have done an excellent job of designing a LOT of cute quilts utilizing that ruler, there are so many different quilts you can make using it.

And of course I love the Bloc-Loc rulers, they're totally worth it. Sadly, I heard from a shop owner that the creator of Bloc-Loc was trying to sell the company, some kind of family health issue taking priority. I hope they're able to find a buyer and keep producing the rulers.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:53 PM

I sure have enough rulers to keep me busy for a very long time. I have to admit that it is nice to have a " specialty" ruler as it makes the job go faster...and, of course, I've been known to grab the wrong ruler to use! That can really mess things up. I have a couple of rulers that have holes in the corners. What the holes are for, I have no idea. They are too big to make a mark with a small dot. Having the right ruler for the job is nice. It reduces the chance that I might make a measuring mistake.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by pennyhal2 View Post
... I have a couple of rulers that have holes in the corners. What the holes are for, I have no idea. ...
I use to hang on a pegboard.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:11 AM

I have way too many rulers, bought on a whim. I recently cleaned out my ruler drawer (putting seldom- or never-used rulers in two plastic bags that I stuck in a magazine rack). Now the only rulers I have in the drawer are the simple folded corners mini and Deb Tucker's wing clipper, V-block, square in square. I also keep a little square ruler with 1/8" lines and her Tucker Trimmer within reach on a dresser or the cutting table.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I like having the exact size or shape ruler I need for a pattern. It saves me time and mistakes. I think of a new ruler as part of the cost of making the quilt. The more I use it the less it cost (how I determine value). And besides a new ruler is less expensive than the exact size wrench or socket that my husband needs for one size bolt. He would never use one not the exact size to make do.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:39 AM

I'm a ruler/template junkie and will admit that not all my rulers that were purchased have been used. Same goes for quilt patterns and books. But I would rather have that one speciality ruler for when I need it, than to not have it.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:41 AM

Agreed Onebyone.
A Pampered Chef lady used that same analogy in regards to her kitchen products.
Men dont hesitate to buy a one time/use tool.