Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The speicalness of a quilt when someone passes. >

The speicalness of a quilt when someone passes.

The speicalness of a quilt when someone passes.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM

I would be interested locating a book of patterns for making a batic quilt for my grandson. I have checked the on have and none,I pretty well have a nice stash of colors, but would welcome any scraps. He is a teacher teaching in

Mexico and hope to have it ready when he comes for Christmas Thanks, Lastroseos
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maria C
I have been away from the board for last couple of weeks due to an acute illness my mother had. We have been at the hospital the entire time and then the hospice. My mum was just 65 and died a few days ago. My sister and I are now going through her belongings and have come across a quilt I made her and also a quilt that I made my grandmother which is a family tree quilt. We have washed them and my sister, whom doesn't really like quilts, has requested to have the family tree quilt. I am so pelased I made these quilts for the women of my family and now have them for my sister and I to wrap ourselves in. I am a youngish quilter and these two quilts were earlier in my quilting life and I don't see the errors any longer but the love of the women in my life. Don't let perfection rob you of making quilts for those you love!
What a lovely reminder of the "why" of making quilts. Aside from the beauty and the feel of the fabric, the calculations, cutting etc etc. I just simply enjoy doing it and hope someday someone will enjoy what I leave behind. I have LOTS of tops made, I think they're called "flimsies" when they aren't finished....well, I have lots of "flimsies" and they are beautiful, but I can't afford to have them quilted into useable quilts at this time, so I just make tops....and make tops.....and make tops...... and smile!!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Having the quilt you made for your mother will bring you comfort.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:40 AM

So sorry to hear of your loss, take heart that she is no longer suffering.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 PM

So sorry you lost your mom at such a young age. What a wonderful keepsake you and your sister each will have with those beautiful quilts.

When my mom passed a few months ago, I was pleased that the eldest grandson wanted to have her quilts. Another generation of quilt lovers!!

Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Patti
Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 PM

so sorry for your loss, but glad that you each have a special quilt to wrap yourselves up in
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry about your mom's passing. Every time you look at those quilts, you will be reminded of the women who loved them (and you) so much!