Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spell check help >

Spell check help

Spell check help

Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
The only problem is sound alike words when the dictionary is too stupid to know both of them.
I didn't say it was a grammar check! ;-) :-D
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM

Having developmental problems and never being able to spell well I really appreciate the spell check. Even the most common words I can fudge up.

I may not know how to spell but I know when I have spelled a word wrong it does not look right and I start trying to sound it out (not easy with the English language) Once I get it close enough for the spell check to figure out what I am trying to say it works but sometimes I still have to google a word. Google seems to be a better spell guesser then the chrome browser.

Some people see others who are unable to spell well or have horrible grammar as uneducated, lazy and or dumb. I am neither. I am someone who has struggled all of my life to be able to learn something that for most people is easy and when most people are able to stop being educated at the age of 18 or collage I am not. I will forever have to learn because I am unable to retain anything I have learned

(P.S I had 20+ spelling mistake in this writing I love spell checker!)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Okay, I'll bite, where is the option to turn spell check on or off? I know I have it in Word, but never see it on here, thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
Having developmental problems and never being able to spell well I really appreciate the spell check. Even the most common words I can fudge up.

I may not know how to spell but I know when I have spelled a word wrong it does not look right and I start trying to sound it out (not easy with the English language) Once I get it close enough for the spell check to figure out what I am trying to say it works but sometimes I still have to google a word. Google seems to be a better spell guesser then the chrome browser.

Some people see others who are unable to spell well or have horrible grammar as uneducated, lazy and or dumb. I am neither. I am someone who has struggled all of my life to be able to learn something that for most people is easy and when most people are able to stop being educated at the age of 18 or collage I am not. I will forever have to learn because I am unable to retain anything I have learned

(P.S I had 20+ spelling mistake in this writing I love spell checker!)
Well said!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Glassquilt
The only problem is sound alike words when the dictionary is too stupid to know both of them.
I didn't say it was a grammar check! ;-) :-D
seam/seem
hear/here
wear/where
etc., etc., etc.

Don't get me started about 'grammar check'! :)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
Okay, I'll bite, where is the option to turn spell check on or off? I know I have it in Word, but never see it on here, thanks!
As I said in my initial post, right click on your mouse. You will see it at the top of the new window that will open. Since the red squiggly lines are ever present, I would assume that spell check is always on. ;-)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I'm cofused! please post sample.
peace :D

I mis-spell words all the tyme om this broad and it never underlines. Do I half eto turn SC on somwhere?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting

I mis-spell words all the tyme om this broad and it never underlines. Do I half eto turn SC on somwhere?
I guess, now that I look closer. If at the bottom of the new window does not have a check next to the words Spell check, then click on it and it will turn it on. I thought it was automatic. It was for me.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting

I found 5 errors in your post (6 including your name), but it doesn't allow me to fix what others have written.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM

Hmmm. guess we all have different settings on our computers, when I follow your instructions nothing comes up that has anything to do with spell check. I'm plugging along with alot of older programs so maybe that's why you are able to view different things than me. oh well... I do try my best to spell properly BUT being Canadian...there are quite a few words that show as wrong when I type in my Cdn lingo.... you know... favourite.. licence