Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
splitting fingernails and cuticles >

splitting fingernails and cuticles

splitting fingernails and cuticles

Old 12-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
The thing that cured my nails of splitting like that was a product called ProStrong I get at QVC. I just use the strengthener, not any of the other products. It lasts a long time. I am "elderly" so have that nail problem, and hypothyroid, on drugs for years, but all the creams I tried didn't help, just the ProStrong. I keep a supply on hand. It paints on like water - use twice a day.
I have been hypothyroid for seven years and am now on T3 & T4, but would second Stitchnripper's recommendation for Prostrong. I use the strengthener, the calcium treatment and the moisturiser once a day. For the first time in my life I no longer have peeling and flaking. It only takes a couple of minutes a day, but kept up, I've found it really works.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 PM

for healthy nail, eat gelatin, yep just regular j-e-l-l-o

Originally Posted by oatw13
If your nails are splitting in layers, it sounds more like they aren't healthy to start with. Talk with your doctor. Maybe you aren't getting enough calcium? Please don't start taking calcium without talking to a doctor because most people need less as they age. You could be deficient in other nutrients, as well.

They sell nail strengtheners that you apply like a clear nail polish that help. They are found at most drugstores with the nail polish.

In the meantime, slather them with lotion every time you walk by a bottle. It can't hurt.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:32 PM

I have psoriasis in my fingernails and they do that, too. I try to keep my hands 'lotioned' and not dry. My doctor has prescribed some medication that I use at night when it's really bad - you might check with your dermatologist to rule it out...
Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Most nail hardeners just make my nails brittls. You may not realize it but you are probably dehydrated. When I make myself drink more water (and less coffee) my skin, hair and nails all benefit.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Walmart sells a vitamin for Hair, Nails, & Skin. It's been working for me & I'm 67. It has Biotin.
I'm going to try WalMart...thanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mim
I do a lot of hand quilting in cooler weather and my nails are splitting again. I don't mean the ridges on the nails -- my doc told me yars ago that it meant getting older. I was not amused.

My nails split in layers which means that I have to keep them really short. Does anyone have any ideas -- I use hand lotions, etc. Perhaps there is one I haven't tried.

I found one in NZ that worked but haven't been able to find any here in the US

I have had problems with splitting nails and my doctor told me to dilute a table spoon of knocks gelatin in warm water and drink it few times a week or eat a lot of Jello. I also use corn huskers lotton to keep the cutical moist and also good for the hands.
Thanks -- Mim
Old 12-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Have you had your thyroid checked? My thyroid was always in the normal range but I found out it wasn't normal for me. It took a good Dr. to figure out I needed to take Synthroid to see if that helped my cold feet, cold hands, thinning hair, dry skin, always tired, weight gain, and general feeling not so great but not sick. My nails started to grow and be strong. It won't hurt to find out if your thyroid is in the low normal range. Ask your Dr. Most Drs. are now aware that 9 out of 10 women have thyroid issues.
Thyroid disease is THE MOST UNDERDIAGNOSED condition in women! I have Graves disease - hyper active thyroid + other stuff. Have taken care of the hyper part, but other things go wrong - all related to the thyroid. That little gland controls so much other functions of our bodies! Fortunately, it's an easy disease to live with if taken care of and controlled. Synthroid daily and frequent Dr. visits & lab work to make sure everything is in working order.

Just wish I could get a metabolism back! 8-)
Old 12-11-2010, 02:48 PM

I used to have my nails done every three weeks so they looked nice when I visited clients. My Dr. put me on a high dose of Calcium,2/750mg,2/150mg magnesium, 2/750mg Vitamin D 1000mg Fish oil. My hair at 72 is lush and thick, my nails are long and strong. I haven't had a broken nail in over 6 months. My bone scan was, according the my dear DR. incredible for my age.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:04 PM
mim

my thanks to everyone -- I do not have my hands in water -- my wonderful new husband does the dishes at the summer cottage and dishwasher in winter. Nail strengther and polish made everything worse.

As a child and thru teens, I evidently had thyroid deficiency. As soon as I was out on my own I went to a doc and got suppliments. The result was fantastic!! No more exhaustion and overweight.

I had forgotten those bad times. I will definitely get a blood test and checkup. Allso add zinc and magnesium to the vitamins..

Also I will start to buff, buff, buff. I imagine that is how our ancester "mothers did it

Thank you all -- Mim
Old 12-11-2010, 03:11 PM

I found a nail strengthener I love. OPI makes one for nails that are brittle and dry. My nails look great. I also use Burt's Bees Cuticle salve. It lasts forever (it doesn't take much). It really helps me.