Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray basted my DR table >

Spray basted my DR table

Spray basted my DR table

Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by mtnmama
I am really glad everybody found products to clean up overspray. I once had a really stupid idea to use a batting that you used steam to attach to the fabric. I was sandwiching a flannel quilt and thought it was thick enough and I would be fine on my dining room table. NOT! Every place where I hovered with my steam iron left a white spot on my dark pine table. I said a few really ugly works, shed a few tears and bought a table cloth. I screwed up, move on.
I know how you feel. I did the very same thing and I had even put towels down to protect the table. The white is there forever sadly. :cry:
Old 02-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I needed to make some sandwiches for a class. The instructor wanted us to spray baste. I usually do this outside, but it was 15 degrees. I covered my teak dining room table with newspaper, but I got some overspray on the table. I thought that spray basting was supposed to wash out with soap and water, but this didn't remove it from the table. I also tried the teak cleaner I had, and this just seemed to smear it. I think it will wear off eventually, but I'd like to clean it, or should i just add batting, backing and quilt it?
Don't use anything but teak oil!!!
You might not have used enough teak cleaner. Try again.
Put some on a cloth and rub it out...anything else might cause spots! Teak is tough but you never know what some chemicals might do to it.
Next time, use a plastic tablecloth with the flannel on the back like some of us use for planning. (Plastic side up - Flannel side down)
and....Well, I hate to tell you....but that is going to be reported to the quiltn police as being a mite too lumpy?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
Originally Posted by mtnmama
I am really glad everybody found products to clean up overspray. I once had a really stupid idea to use a batting that you used steam to attach to the fabric. I was sandwiching a flannel quilt and thought it was thick enough and I would be fine on my dining room table. NOT! Every place where I hovered with my steam iron left a white spot on my dark pine table. I said a few really ugly works, shed a few tears and bought a table cloth. I screwed up, move on.
I know how you feel. I did the very same thing and I had even put towels down to protect the table. The white is there forever sadly. :cry:
not forever! try the mineral oil and fine steel wool very lightly -can't hurt, then apply whatever surface finish you already have on your dark pine table,
If you are down to wood, and it is lighter in color, use crayons carefully to match, and wax it.
If it is varnished, try carefully the steel wool and mineral oil, wipe it off well then put on clear nailpolish on spots that are about dime sized... (it will come off with remover if you don't like it.)
If you have very large areas, investigate using "French polish" on the internet or ask HOW TO ....? on google.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 AM

you could always try Avon's Skin So Soft it removes all kinds of sticky stuff even pine pitch.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Is there no end to what Skin So Soft can do??
Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Hi everybody.
There is a product from J T trading company called "DK5" that removes spray bastings I have used it and it works. A little smelly so open a window. Here in the NE its -4 degrees. I still open a window for awhile. Lots of luck. Purchased this in a quilt shop in Mass.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 AM

When I worked at the LQS, we had a product called DK5. Its pput out by the makers of 505 adhesive spray. Its for the removal of overspray. Its looks oily when it poes on but it dries and goes away. Just spray iton a soft cloth and then wipe the affected area. It does not harm furniture at all. It can be used on plastic, metal, glass, stone and ceramics surfaces. (I'm reading the label as I type.) Do not use it on fabric. I used it at the store and here at home with great success.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by donnalynett
This and my lungs are just more reasons why I quit using the spray baste and only use safety pins and love them!
Very good point...
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
For future reference, I used goo gone. Put a tiny amount on a paper towel, then rubbed the area. Removed residual oil with another paper towel. Didn't seem to affect (effect? any grammar police out there?) the teak at all.
I spray basted on my kitchen floor once (after I mopped the floor.) When I went to sweep the floor later that week, I noticed the dust/dirt sticking to one spot after I ran the broom over it. I ended up using some "Murphy Soap" and it came up. I now only spray baste my wall quilts. All others are going on a long-arm frame.

BTW... "affect" is the right word. (I am an English teacher.)
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Drat--I wanted to see the quilted DR table.