Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray basting on cotton batting >

Spray basting on cotton batting

Spray basting on cotton batting

Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 AM

Cotton batting is very good and yes, the spray basting does hold it very well. I normally use the blue can from Walmarts, its called June Taylor. It hold very well and I put my quilt away for months and went back to it and it was still holding. It doesn' not gunk up your needles. I just took a class and the teacher loves Sullivans spray. She says it holds well and you can actually lift off if you got wrinkles, etc and then iron it back and it sticks. I've tried 505 but was more impressed by the Walmarts brand; I felt it held better but I know others who love it. So it could be that maybe I didn't spray as well as I should. I'm like you; theres no way I'm going to get on the floor and pin. W & N is super good batting.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by liont View Post
One question from a noob - is basting spray just glue in a mist? Does it wash off like good ol' Elma glue?
I've gotten over spray on my table when using it while embroidering. I was able to use soap and water but if you need extra help you can just use alcohol and that will remove it. It's not meant to be permanent.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

the two best are Sulky or 505 basting spray. cotton batting adheres very well. have fun!!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 AM

I just spray basted a quilt with Warm & Natural batting about a week ago. It is still firmly held together. I used a "light hand" and had no trouble with smell or over spray. I used Dritz and then 505 when the Dritz ran out. So far so good. Now I just have to decide how I will quilt it. Can't make up my mind.
Sue
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

After using several different brands, I now use 505 exclusively. I couldn't stand the odor of most of the others; 505 is relatively odorless. Nevertheless, be *sure* you use basting spray in a well-ventilated area, no matter what the brand. As long as you don't overdose on the spraying, you shouldn't get any gumming up of the needle.

The only pins I use on a large quilt are a few around the edges, just to make sure the layers don't start separating there.

Before starting, I strongly recommend marking the center of each side of your backing, batting and quilt top. Layer backing and batting, matching centers. Then fold back half of the batting and spray baste the backing. Smooth back that half of the batting, then fold back the other half. Use the same method with the top. Positioning two layers before you spray is *very* helpful in making the process fast and easy, as you never have to worry about repositioning sticky layers.

I greatly prefer Hobbs 80/20 batting to Warm and Natural. W&N has a stiffer drape because of the needlepunching through scrim; Hobbs is softer and lighter in weight, with a better drape.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:24 AM

Does anyone have an issue with the backing crinkling after you spray it???? Mine do that what can I do to stop it???
Deb
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM

I love spray baste. So much better than trying to pin or sew. can move it around , an still sticks together. joyce j
Old 07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by debquilts2 View Post
Does anyone have an issue with the backing crinkling after you spray it???? Mine do that what can I do to stop it???Deb
I don't have this problem. How much are you spraying?

I heavily starch my backing fabrics before layering. My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution on until the yardage is saturated (using a large wall-painting brush), toss in dryer, then iron with steam. Starching like this stabilizes the backing fabric so it does not pucker while machine quilting.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM

I use the spray on Warm n Natural all the time. It is a wonderful way to baste. Just be careful to never spray the adhesive onto your fabrics at all. It can cause troubles for your beautiful fabrics. Be light on the spray.

Originally Posted by vivientan View Post
I've just completed a full-size quilt top for my daughter and will be doing basting next. Going to spray bast as there's no way I'm going on all fours on the floor to bast with pins! As quilt is pretty huge, would spray basting hold the sandwich in place? Which brand of basting spray would you recommend? I think it'll be a challenge basting the quilt too.

The other question I have, I would like to try cotton batting this round as I've always only worked with polyester batting. Does cotton adhere as well as polyester for spray basting? I've heard good reviews about the Warm and Natural cotton batting. Is this a good choice to get? Jo-ann is having 40% off packaged battings now.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I don't have this problem. How much are you spraying?

I heavily starch my backing fabrics before layering. My method is to mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution on until the yardage is saturated (using a large wall-painting brush), toss in dryer, then iron with steam. Starching like this stabilizes the backing fabric so it does not pucker while machine quilting.
I have not heard of this to stabilize the back - thanks for the info. Will try this next time.