Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 03-29-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo
just wondering, what do you do about overspray?
Watch Patsy Thompson's video and you will see that she uses newspapers to protect the wall from overspray. She suggests a sheet on the floor, too.

I'm hoping to set up a designated spray wall in the storage area of my basement .... fortunately I have the room to do this. So, for me, I'm not super concerned about overspray. The garage is another option. Will admit that I would not be wild about spraying in the main living area of my house, since with my clutsiness I would be sure to tack up the walls, the floor, and anything else in any close proximity.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by catrancher
I've read so many of you spray baste. I've done it with really small quilts, but now I'm getting ready to FMQ (teeth chattering) a quilt that is 55 x 55 inches. If I spray baste, is that ALL I need to do? Or should I still pin it too? I doubt it matters, but the back is also pieced (big pieces). I'd be using 505. Is that the right product?
OK - Sorry, but another stupid question from an old quilter who's been "OUT" of the quilt world too long. What is FMQ - I did open & save the Msg. Board Abbreviations, but do not find this one listed on there. (This new age of all these text, etc "abbreviations" are like learning a new language to this old 77 yr. old) :oops:

Also, what is/how is it used - "spray" "505" I keep seeing so much on here. If it is what I think it is, it sounds like a WONDERFUL new tool since I was in quilting many years ago.

I LOVE THIS BOARD - LEARNING SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH - THANK ALL YOU QUILTERS - YOU'RE AMAZING :thumbup: :thumbup:

Have a blessed day & may all your quilt be filled w/love.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I believe FMQ is free motion quilting.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chay
Where do you do the basting? I don't have enough room on my design wall and the only really flat surface that I can tape the quilt bottom to is the furnace room. It's a big room with plenty of floor space but I'm a little freaked out by imagining a huge explosion down there based on the fact that the 505 is so flammable.
Where my sister lives is a community room with large tables. That's where I spray baste. I use large clamps (from the hardware store) and shift the sandwich as necessary when it's too big for the table.

My initial reaction is to say DON'T spray baste in the furnace room! If you have any kind of gas pilot flame in there (say, for a gas furnace or gas water heater), I too would be afraid of an explosion.

My suggestion is to spray baste outside on the driveway. Purchase one of those large tables with folding legs and store it in the garage when not in use. Aside from the expense, your biggest problem with that is probably getting clamps big enough (and maybe moving the table).

Someone else posted that they bought inexpensive folding saw horses and a sheet of plywood and set those up in the garage to spray baste.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by susanwilley
I just spray basted a queen size and I just love it. I will never pin baste again. It is holding together great just waiting to be quilted.
Where and how did you lay it out? I have a 100 x 115 that I am debating on trying the spray on, otherwise will pin as usual. Have never machine quilted one this large either, so I am kind of nervous. Any tips would help from anyone.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Prism99
I believe FMQ is free motion quilting.
Thanks so much - does this mean q/a machine or FM hand quilting (without a pattern)

Have a good one :oops:
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 AM

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10535792421418095121&sa=X&ei=a_mRTdXzBKPi0gHsh43NBw&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAg#

FMQ= Free Motion Quilting.

it is done with a machine.

I love the stuff..you don't need lot of it..it does seems to work better if you spray the batting,instead of the fabric
i am able to smooth it down,and reposition it,if needed.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-177006.jpe  
Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyM
Where and how did you lay it out? I have a 100 x 115 that I am debating on trying the spray on, otherwise will pin as usual. Have never machine quilted one this large either, so I am kind of nervous. Any tips would help from anyone.
Be sure to lay it out on a king-size sheet to catch overspray. Toss the sheet in the laundry afterwards. Using a table allows you to spray baste a large quilt in sections. You do need good, easy-to-use hand clamps for this though.

I haven't done it myself, but someone posted that after spray basting they iron the quilt sandwich to make it as thin as possible.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 AM

I have spray basted on for years now and the last one was LARGE...having a friend to help you hold corners etc is very helpful but not necessary. Just make sure everything is nice and flat and use your hands over and over again to smooth out .
I use my dinning room table. Sometimes if i feel very insecure I will pin baste a single line in the middle from left to right. Never really necessary but makes me feel better.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 AM

Where can I purchase 505 basting spray? Thank you .