Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

Yesterday I found my mom cutting the tops off of Icee popsicles with MY good sewing scissors. Couldn't find the other 800 scissors in the house so she goes into my room and takes mine!

Certainly nowhere near as bad as the time when I found my ex's step dad using them to cut off the callouses off his feet (I threw that pair away!). But still!

I'm positive I'm not the only one who has caught someone else using the good sewing scissors for anything other than sewing. What's the worst way you've seen your good scissors being mistreated or are there people in your house who can't get it in their head that those are meant for your quilting/sewing projects and nothing else?

Nope, never happens here...my housemates do not have opposable thumbs. :lol:

My Dad used to cut my hair with Mom's good scissors. He said they were the best so that is why he used them. Mom quit sewing soon after. :)

I told my family there would be NO TRIAL!!!
    Life in prison!!!!!!!![no car,no phone no dates, you know the drill] lol lol

When my little ones were, well, little, they were into jewelry making. They used my Ginghers to cut wire! :(

My family knows the hell that would insue if any of them ever touch my scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    My family knows the hell that would insue if any of them ever touch my scissors.
    what she said.

Blog Entries
    I have had to hide mine cause my lefty son used them for everything. He said they were the only scissors that would cut for him. He has been gone from my household....It is just DH and me. I still hide them. DH will overlook 14 pairs of paper, cut anything type scissors and zero in on my best if they are on my sewing table :thumbdown:

Hubby used mine to cut the grips off his golf clubs.

My kids still remember the fury from when I caught them with my good scissors when they were small frys. Now they come and ask.. =) Its good to be the Queen.

cutting the plastic off to get to the item. Using 1 blade to slice the skin on a banana.
    NOW They are hidden with a red ribbon on them. and yellow caution tape on the bag they are in.

Blog Entries
    When my kids were at home I kept my sewing scissors under lock and key. Now that they're grown and gone DH knows better.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Hubby used mine to cut the grips off his golf clubs.
    Hmmmmm - is he still living?

I caught my daughter using them on Floral wire!!!! These were my best gingher scissors. I thought I would die right there, but alas life does go on and we do get over these things...

sewobsessed1 I just read your post maybe we should get these kids together!

Blog Entries
    I have 2 pair of Ginghers that my son used to cut wire! He recently bought me a brand new pair of Ginghers. He had a 24 year grace period before he bought the new scissors. Those old scissors are still hanging around and we use those for paper or whatever.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    My story is this:
    3 boys- never touched my scissors b/c they KNEW not to. ( they certainly were not angels but knew certain things lol)
    1 husband- so ADD that he doesn't think, just grabs whatever is around.
    So............ my scissors are never where he can get to them LOL

My boys and husband learned long ago not to touch them...
    My son's ex girlfiend is the last one to abuse my scissors...I came home from work to see her on the living room floor wrapping christmas presents...I was tired and went to my sewing room and sat down and noticed my Ginghers weren't there...son came up the stairs at that point and I showed him the scissors were missing...I told him to get HER out of the house, NOW...
    She still has no clue...she knew no one was to use anything from my sewing room.

Blog Entries
    One time we were teaching the kids to be carpenters. One 16 year old daughter wanted to build a roll top desk and was doing quite well until I caught her holding nails with my scissors, my GOOD, EXPENSIVE scissors to hold a nail so she could pound it into the wood!!!
    I suspect my screams made our big Dobermans rush to hurl themselves into the dog house, and the cat flew up the nearest tree.
    Needless to say, no one ever used them after that. Besides, they are still hidden, even though I now live alone.

One of these days I just might find them.

Gah! Callouses? GOLF CLUBS???

I gave up and bought a new pair after it was obvious hubby was using mine to cut paper and the clear plastic to separate laminated sheets. I used sharpie and wrote "PAPER" on the bad ones so they'd know if they had the right ones in hand...

CALLOUSES??? Really????

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't remember what DH was using mine for but he learned not to. He then went out and bought a pair of scissors for himself to cut paper.... and told me "DON"T TOUCH" lol
    :-D
    At work there are co workers who want to borrow the scissors we but fabric with. If we are able to catch them (or they are nice enough to ask) I tell them NOT UNLESS YOU ARE CUTTING FABRIC.

I did catch a customer using the ones at work to cut the coupon (cardboard) off a box top so he could use the coupon when he purchased the product. !!! I just gave him a 'look' and he put them down. I then handed him a pair he could use. I'm not sure which surprised me more - his using the scissors or actually cutting the coupon off the box BEFORE he bought it.

Blog Entries
    i explained the use of my scissors to two of my dgk's just this morning. they know they can only use the kitchen drawer scissors.

I was in a QS behind a woman with her DH, The clerk asked if she needed anything else and she quickly picked up a pair of Ginghers. When the clerk rang them up, her DH said I'm not really going to pay that price for a pair of scissors am I? She calmly said yes you will and this time I bet you won't take them to the garage. LOL

Blog Entries
    When I returned from taking a daughter to Mayo Clinic for a week, my second best scissors were missing. The culprits, my husband and young son, were probably playing dumb. The missing scisssors were found in the tackle box in a briny solution that had spilled. Needless to say, the scissors were given to the tackle box and a wonderful new pair was purchased with my husband's spending money, not household money.

My best scissors were with me so they were safe.

Blog Entries
    mine is finding my scissors encrusted with glue..My boys take them and use them for their model or whatever it is they are working on..So, now I have like 3 pair all hidden around the house..

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast