Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst way you've seen your good sewing scissors mistreated?

DH clipping or trying to clip wire.

My children were always told to NEVER cut paper with my sewing scissors. One day i found my DD#2 using the pointed end of my sewing scissors to open a can of something with one of those tin lids. She was trying to puncture a hole!!!! I yelled at her and she said that she wasn't cutting paper!!!

Blog Entries
    cleaning and cutting fingernails and toenails ewwwwwwww and nylon rope recently

Blog Entries
    My husband took my best shears and used them for the kitchen wallpapering job he really didn't want to do.

My husband doesn't use my sewing scissors, because I bought a dozen Fiskars at Costco. I also have a box cutter to open packages. My good sewing scissors are safely in my sewing room.

I don't trust any one. I have the utility sissors in the most accessible drawer, top right. I keep my 2 good pair the next drawer down in the back. - I do tell myself that I will tag them with a note saying 'fabric only', but so far I remember to hide them when working on a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Hubby used mine to cut the grips off his golf clubs.
    OMG - Golf grips are held in place with double sided tape - when was his funeral???

Blog Entries
    Pat was cutting leather and let's just say - - - there were words. He actually had the audacity to talk back at me. Silly little man. I asked him how he would feel if I just grabbed his tools without asking and then using (for example) a chisel to scrape off glue. Message received. Then man now asks which scissors he can use (when he's in my domain)

MY DH and kids were warned early on that their life was in jeprody if they touch my sissors. So they always ask where are the sissors we can use. Now its just DH and me so not more problems.

Used in the garden to trim back plants, then left outside to rust.

My hubby stripped WIRE and cut it with mine--he was pretty shocked to discover the new scissors cost $25!!!!

Theses are so funny!!!!
    They need to be in a book for new QUILTER'S!!!
    Enjoyed reading all of them....

klc
    Yep, over the years I've seen just about everything. My mom was smart. She had her scissors, scotch tape, pencils, everything that was "hers" under lock and key - even from my dad. I wasn't so smart. Now, my sewing room is off limits to all, even the animals!

Hubby and kids USED to use them to cut duck tape with!!!! Not amymore! hehehehe :)

This one might take the cake ... to kill a mole. No joke. And no, I caught him before the mole was impaled on my scissors.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    caught youngest child trying to open a paint can with my Gingher's!

Power Poster
    I've never actually caught anyone in the act. I read all the posts and had quite a chuckle. I have my scissors attached to my sewing thread caddy now so they don't wander off as often. The next question is....how many pairs of scissors do you own? I have at least twenty, all over the house but they still seem to need my good ones.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LAQUITA
    Hubby and kids USED to use them to cut duck tape with!!!! Not amymore! hehehehe :)
    nothing wrong with duct tape, just use rubbing alcohol to clean the sticky stuff off...no different than cutting fusible webbing!

MY DH used them to cut out the vinyl fabric for the roof top of his car! Grrrrr

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadeee55
    nothing wrong with this either...fabric is fabric...and vinyl is easier to cut than most things like flannel or corduroy!

the only things GOOD shears should not cut is metal, anything more than 1/4" thick and wood!

Having said that, I do have a GOOD pair for the kitchen, a GOOD pair for the garden, and about 80+ pairs all over the house for everything else that needs cutting..including my VERY costly hair shears...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    My hubby stripped WIRE and cut it with mine--he was pretty shocked to discover the new scissors cost $25!!!!
    $25....I have them upwards of $300!

My brother and I KNEW to NEVER touch Mom's good sewing scissors. Dad, not so much. He would use them to trim the end off of his cigar. And 1/2 way through he would use her knitting needles to re-poke a hole in those White Owl Invincibles - funny how I remember the exact name of those cigars - this was more than a couple of years ago!

My boys have been told, in very explicit, biologically correct terms what I will cut off if they EVER touch my sewing scissors - and my husband doesn't smoke cigars!

I never had "good" scissors to worry too much about while the boys were little. I did have several "ok" pairs that I would write the date on the outside of the blades. If the scissors were over 6 months old, they could use them as they wanted.

Once I did have "good" scissors I kept them in my sewing desk that was way tooo scary to open for the faint of heart.

My DH recently saw my applique scissors and wanted to know what they were for. I showed him where in 1990 they cost $35 and wondered what they would go for in today's market. He swallowed and suggested that they be kept hid from others and only used for special projects, lol.

Now I use a rotary cutter and don't worry too much about scissors as they are basically for threads.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    This one might take the cake ... to kill a mole. No joke. And no, I caught him before the mole was impaled on my scissors.
    lol lol lol lol That is an imagine I want out of my head!!!! lol lol lol

Nope, don't agree, my sewing scissors should be used only for my sewing needs. If I say it is ok to use them for the cars vinyl roof, next thing I know, they end up on the work bench out in the shop, never to see a piece of soft cotton fabric again.
    That is just how I see it, maybe cause I have seen it happen with other things. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadeee55
    nothing wrong with this either...fabric is fabric...and vinyl is easier to cut than most things like flannel or corduroy!

the only things GOOD shears should not cut is metal, anything more than 1/4" thick and wood!

Having said that, I do have a GOOD pair for the kitchen, a GOOD pair for the garden, and about 80+ pairs all over the house for everything else that needs cutting..including my VERY costly hair shears...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast