Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have your good scissors sharpened? >

Do you have your good scissors sharpened?

Do you have your good scissors sharpened?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:11 AM

Default Do you have your good scissors sharpened?

Do you have your good scissors sharpened? If so, do you send them away, or did you find someone locally, or sharpen them yourself, and if so, how do you do it? Or, do you just buy a new pair of scissors.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:59 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I send mine to Ginghers in SC for $8.

Scroll to bottom of this page....
http://www.gingher.us/Gingher_Maintenance.html

Jan in VA
Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

I don't buy expensive scissors. I just buy fairly good ones at Walmart etc. and buy new ones when they get dull. The dull scissors I use for paper and other things.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:36 AM

I have a really good expensive pair that I got at least 10 years ago. I just can't remember where they came from and just last year I was kind of getting the idea they needed to be sharpened.
I told my husband and he said there was a guy out at work that would do it, so I asked him how much?
He said nothing, which I still dont understand, that the guy just likes to do it. There has to be more to it than that , but they came back 2 days later, perfectly sharpened.
The guy is on my list of 'people in my life who have mede me smile, make them a quilted something.'
Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I had one pair sharpened by a someone that said he was a sharpener. He ruined them. Unless you know the person has done great work then don't risk it. Scissors use to be a one time buy and the quality ones cost a lot. This is why our grandmothers and mothers treated them like gold. Now scissors are easily made and even the inexpensive fabric scissors are very good. I have my grandmother's dress shears and they are heavy and hard on my hands to use. I think that is one reason she gave up sewing, the cutting was too hard for her with those scissors. I don't use my heavy Ginghers anymore. They tire my hands. I like the new lightweight sharp serrated scissors best of all and they are cheap enough to buy new when needed.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:38 PM

We have a small sewing machine/vacuum repair shop in town. I have often taken my sewing machine in for service and cleaning. One day when I was there I noticed a sign said "scissors sharpened." I have a beautiful pair of scissors my DH bought me years ago so I took them in for sharpening. When I took them in the owner's mother was there and didn't know how much the sharpening would cost but I left them anyway. When I went back to get them the next day the bill was $1.00. I couldn't believe it. I love small, local businesses when the people are honest and there to serve their customers without charging a fortune. Unfortunately, this store is for sale and will probably go by the wayside like so many small businesses. ( I know I sound really old fashioned but I am not that old).
Old 12-13-2014, 06:28 PM

I drop mine off at Hancock's. They have a man who comes by in a converted ambulance. He does a great job and his rates are very reasonable.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:33 PM

As I understand, Gingher doesn't put the serrated edge back on the scissors any more.

The owner of the shop where I work has been sharpening scissors since he was 16, and is now 54. And he still just charges $1, or $2 for pinking shears. However, he has turned away the specialty scissors, because he can't put the serrated edge back on. And if the tip isn't cutting, he'll round it off. Sometimes they need bending or tightening or oiling, as well as sharpening, and he'll do that, too, for the same price.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 PM

Lightbulb

Onebyone, What is the brand of the cheaper ones that you like? This sounds interesting to me.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I had one pair sharpened by a someone that said he was a sharpener. He ruined them. Unless you know the person has done great work then don't risk it. Scissors use to be a one time buy and the quality ones cost a lot. This is why our grandmothers and mothers treated them like gold. Now scissors are easily made and even the inexpensive fabric scissors are very good. I have my grandmother's dress shears and they are heavy and hard on my hands to use. I think that is one reason she gave up sewing, the cutting was too hard for her with those scissors. I don't use my heavy Ginghers anymore. They tire my hands. I like the new lightweight sharp serrated scissors best of all and they are cheap enough to buy new when needed.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 PM

My Ginghers were purchased in the early seventies and lasted very well until I began quilting. I think (know) it's probably cutting poly batting that did it. When my mom passed away, I found the Ginghers I had given her years ago packed in the original box with sheath. The note on it said "for Gail". I have those safely tucked away.

Jan, thanks for the info on Gingher's sharpening policies. I will get those older one in the post soon.