Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 PM

I love spray basting but I still start my quilting in the center and work my way out. The owner of our LQS taught me to do it that way because she said no matter how you baste your quilt may still has some movement so its best to start in the middle. Good Luck!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
Originally Posted by yayaquilts
I have used spray before and didn't really like it. I was quilting a wallhanging, 24" X 48" and much of it wasn't still basted by the time I got to the outside borders. I definitely pin all my quits now!!
Mine is a wallhanging about 18" x 58."

Could I start at the bottom and go to the top? Could I respray if it starts to come undone like yours did?
Yes, you can. The edges will start to come unstuck a little as you work; try pressing them firmly back down and if that doesn't work, use a little spray. I spray baste everything and usually do some overall quilting like stitch-in-the-ditch or a few vertical or horizontal lines overall first, then go back and do some other quilting. Not saying you have to, but it works for me. You need to figure out what works best for you as we're all different! ;)
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sept97
can someone tell me where I can look up what all these abbreviations mean? FMQ...DH...there's quite a few and I have no clue what they mean. Thanks
I struggle with the abbreviations too. I think FMQ means "free-motion quilting." I have no idea what DH means.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 PM

I use the June Tailor spray and never have any problems starting in the middle, the corner, the edge or wherever I want. If you have it spray basted and don't have any wrinkles, then the quilting will not cause any either irregardless of where you start. The trick is to get your backing smooth and wrinkle free, spray the backing and smooth out the batting. Do the same with the quilt top and you will have no wrinkles. I have never had to add pins, nor start in the middle with the FMQ. I think it is all just personal preference and sometimes is a habit to start in the middle (and a very hard one to break....LOL). It's your quilt, do what works best for you.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM

I make wall hangings of all sizes, and use the spray baste. It is wonderful! I don't know why I waited so long to use it before now. I have started from the bottom; and if you are stitching in the ditch, it won't come undone. I'll never go back to pins, they were constantly sticking me.
CruisingStef
Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM

I agree 505 is great! I have tried several differant kinds and always come back to 505. It has always held for me every time.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM

FMQ= FREE MOTION QUILTING
DH= DEAR HUSBAND
DD=DEAR DAUGHTER
SID=STITCH IN THE DITCH
SIL=SISTER IN LAW
DGD=DEAR GRAND DAUGHTER
LAQ'S= LONG ARM QUILTERS

Took me a while to get them all too...LOL
Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
Originally Posted by sept97
can someone tell me where I can look up what all these abbreviations mean? FMQ...DH...there's quite a few and I have no clue what they mean. Thanks
I struggle with the abbreviations too. I think FMQ means "free-motion quilting." I have no idea what DH means.
CHECK MY REPLY....
Old 08-28-2011, 06:11 PM

I love 505 spray baste for all my quilts. I do just like AFQSinc explained and there's no sweat about puckers.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM

I have used 505 on large quilts (big queen) and liked it. Generally do some SID to hold it all in place and then go back to working from the middle out (but mostly because I want to get the hard part done first -- once the whole thing has been SID it shouldn't shift).

I think you should experiment with a small piece, however, if you're planning to hand quilt at all. My concern is that it could make it harder to needle through.