Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray basting >

Spray basting

Spray basting

Old 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM

Question Spray basting

My first attempt at spray basting was an unmitigated disaster, but fortunately, it is not irreparable and I'm quite sure I know what I did wrong. (Using a deck floor is NOT a good idea!) I have the option of using a basting wall or basting on a solid platform- not a deck, but I don't know which to use. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Also, I wanted a really warm quilt and I didn't have access to 6 or 8 oz. batting so I thought I would use regular batting, but with an additional layer of flannel to give it extra warmth. I have the normal quilt top but my backing is also flannel. It is quite heavy so I am wondering if I am looking for trouble doing it this way. Again, any suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks, ladies. You are always a great source of experience and knowledge.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 PM

I fairly sure that you will get several responses telling you to use Elmer's School Glue (thin lines wiggling under the quarter that you are doing at the moment). It is inexpensive, it is non toxic, AND if you make a mistake you simply lift up the backing (or front) and replace. It all washes out with soap. Can't beat it in the opinion of many on this board.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I have tried all basting methods but Sharon Shamber's - pin, thread, spray and Elmer's washable school glue and the glue basting is my favorite. Check out the tutes here on the board.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:41 PM

I think no matter which method you use, I would recommend that you anchor your layers
with clips, pins or painters tape. I suppose you could still use your deck but would have
to slide a large cardboard or a thin plywood underneath.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 PM

I plan to use a couple of sheets of plywood but I don't know whether to lay them on the floor or prop them up against a wall.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sailorwoman View Post
I plan to use a couple of sheets of plywood but I don't know whether to lay them on the floor or prop them up against a wall.
How big is your quilt and what shape are your knees in?

More than one quilt expert has said to spray the back of the pieced top and spray the wrong side of the backing. To never spray the batting.

I've tried this and it works. I go out to the deck and fold my top or back in half (wrong side out) and spread it out on the rail and give it a light spraying.

I then spread my batting on the floor and make sure it smooth. Then place the pieced top on it and spread it out smooth - I have to lift and shift a few times. Then I flip it and spread the backing on it. Smooth it out. This last time I did not pin but usually I will put a few around the edges just for piece of mind. Then I flip it again to make sure the top is still smooth.

Best of luck to whatever method you use.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the advice. The quilt is about 84" by 76". My knees are OK. so if getting down on them is the best way, I will certainly do it.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

For a warm, light weight batting try wool. Pricier than cotton, but warm and it breathes.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Why not invest in a couple of inexpensive saw horses from the hardware store? If you can get the plywood in a single sheet (e.g., 4'x8'), you could lay it on top of the saw horses and have a raised platform. It is also helpful to invest in some clamps (4 would probably be enough) -- just make sure they are thick enough to work. These are the ratcheting clamps I got that are very easy to use:
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...914-c-9135.htm
The saw horses and plywood are very easy to store in the garage, and they allow you to work outside on a raised surface.

For a large quilt, I would mark the center edges of the backing, batting, and top. Lay down the backing first, then align the batting on top making sure that centers match. Once you are happy with the alignment, peel back half of the batting and spray baste just half the quilt. Fold the batting over the sprayed area until you are happy with it (a yardstick helps for smoothing out), then fold back the other half and spray baste that. Once the center part of the quilt is basted in this way, add the top, again matching centers, and again folding half of it out of the way when spraying. Once the 3 layers are secured in the center, you can slide the sandwich to one side to finish that side, then the other.

I found it difficult to get everything aligned correctly when working on a wall. It's especially difficult if you have weak arms, as I do. My arms got very tired.

"Regular batting" doesn't tell me much. A number of people have problems spray basting quilts using polyester batting and non-505 basting spray; often the spray doesn't do well with polyester. I have used all types of spray on primarily cotton batting (Hobbs 80/20 and 100% cotton) with no problems. Those who use 505 spray seem to have no problem with polyester batting. Over time I came to decide that 505 was worth the extra cost, and that is the only brand of spray that I use now.

I personally do not like heavy quilts, plus they are more difficult to handle if you are machine quilting on a domestic sewing machine, so I would not add an extra layer of flannel (which also adds complications to the spray basting process and increases the chances of tucks and puckers when you quilt).

Last edited by Prism99; 06-23-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

.... or use a couple of tables together?]

It's easier to reach across the width of the quilt, when it is up in the air.
Down on the floor, and you will more than likely be stepping on or putting your knees on the sandwich as you work.

Easier on the knees and back, if on a table or on the wall .... yes JIMHO!