Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I did it to myself, but.....

I did it to myself, but.....

I am tired of making the quilt I am on. It is the second one like this I have made, as I want matching quilts on some twin beds. However, I am very tired of making this quilt. Next time I have to not do two the same in a row!!! Boring....... I am over half way through quilting it, SID, so I am on the down stretch, but....oh, it is soooooo boring.

Tell me to think next time before I do this to myself!! There is no hurry on the quilt, just my own deadline and desire to have it done so I can start something different.

I am the only one who does stuff like this, right?

(And to be totally honest, right before this set of two twin quilts, I made two others, identical for twin beds. Totally stupid. No wonder I am bored!!!!)

Dina

put on some fun music. Maybe that will help.

Time for chocolate.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Blog Entries
    I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I bought 2 identical Grinch quilt kits to gift at Christmas. I finished one and started on the second one. I was so sick of the fabric and the pattern and i just stalled; Christmas came and went and MIL got her Grinch quilt. I didn't finish the second one until August and that was only because my friend was coming for a visit from Florida and I wanted to get it out of my sight! I have not made identical quilts again and probably never will. In fact, I have never repeated a pattern either.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I listen to mysteries on audio books only when quilting. When I am doing something boring in the quilting process, I find that I am so eager to see how the mystery will end that I forget to consider what I am doing as being boring. Those mysteries have gotten me through many boring quilting tasks.

This is part of why I have multiple quilts going at once. I'm working on an OBW and making those initial half-hexagons bores me to death. I have a "planned" scrappy and a "crazy" scrappy going along side of it, so when I get tired of triangles I can go sew some random fun stuff.

Same here - I usually work on at least 5 projects at a time - Right now I have a string quilt half quilted. a patriotic quilt pinned and ready for quilting, two block of the month projects - one caught up and one 3 months ahead. Also have an applique quilt about 1/2 done. And make American Girl Doll clothes once a month. Always something different to do depending on my mood.

I listen to mysteries, too! I HAVE made identical patterns, but not identical quilts. I especially love One Block Wonder quilts; also log cabins, which you can do so many different ways.

Power Poster
    I have done this also but when you are done you can do a fun project and hopefully won't be bored. Hope it's done soon.

Chocolate,music, and mysteries....all good ideas!! I will incorporate all tomorrow!!

I have never conquered the ability to work on more than one quilt at a time, and I envy those who can. I actually started a Block of the Month quilt in Jan. to sort of "work myself " into that idea, hoping that it would also teach me to be patient. It hasn't worked well....I am not patient and I don't like having that unfinished quilt in that basket. Something in me says I should finish one project before I start another.

But, fussing about it has helped. I simply MUST clean house tomorrow morning, and then I will finish quilting and sew the binding on. And I am not doing two quilts the same again. Really! That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Dina

Oh... I feel your pain/boredom, only once did I make the quilt twice ...! Give yourself some rewards for every few hours you work on it...!

Blog Entries
    I made four twin sized alike one time. Four granddaughters in the same house. Each one was the same with a different color sashing. I remember being really glad when they were all finished.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Doing 5 I-Spy quilts. I am at the cutting phase and based on what Dina and others of you have said, I think I better find different patterns because I get bored easily.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I often have two or three projects going on in different stages. When I find myself bored or sleepy, I switch to a different project and that usually helps. The last time I used identical projects, different colors were used, and it worked. Dina, be kind to yourself and grab a lovely piece of chocolate. Before you know it, you will be done with the second quilt.

Blog Entries
    Dina I also try a glass of wine helps with the chocolates.
    Finished is better than a UFO

QM
    I have done that. When my son told me in October that he was remarrying and the woman in question had 2 sons, I felt a need to make them Christmas quilts, using color variations of an original pattern. My sister in law wanted a lap sized version of the same. I was not paying particular attention so I made it too big and needed to make a 4th. These were not simple quilts. (The third became a table cover). I was richly tired of it when I got done, even though I really liked my starburst design. everyone BUT ME was happy with their Christmas quilts.

I am having the same problem, as I am making four of the same quilt. and. To top it off, I am doing QAYG... I am making the quilts for my staff as a unity thing.. It was a lot of fun making the 6" squares. They were scraps. With all colors. The staff came over, and chose their squares. I sewed them together, and FMQ them in 30" X 30". Now I have to put them together. I am finding I don't have time to do it, as our office has been busy, and I can't do it when I come home from work, as I am too tired.. I will do it, but not having as much fun with it.. I also have a problem with not starting on anything else until I finish it..

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Chocolate,music, and mysteries....all good ideas!! I will incorporate all tomorrow!!

I have never conquered the ability to work on more than one quilt at a time, and I envy those who can. I actually started a Block of the Month quilt in Jan. to sort of "work myself " into that idea, hoping that it would also teach me to be patient. It hasn't worked well....I am not patient and I don't like having that unfinished quilt in that basket. Something in me says I should finish one project before I start another.

But, fussing about it has helped. I simply MUST clean house tomorrow morning, and then I will finish quilting and sew the binding on. And I am not doing two quilts the same again. Really! That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Dina

At last!!! Someone else who must finish each quilt before starting another! (At least we don't have UFO's.)

I designed a quilt once, made all the blocks, decided that the outer part of the design didn't quite work, but the center (using the same blocks) was great - so I had almost enough blocks left over to make a second quilt, same fabrics. And of course, being a finisher, I had to make that second quilt right away. And yes, it was boring, but both quilts are finished and that feels good. So save some of the chocolate as a reward when you make that last stitch.

I feel your pain. So far I've made 4 of my I Spy Through Attic Windows quilts for little boys and have just committed to another. On my design wall is an OBW that I've told myself I can't start sewing together because it is too time-intensive and I can get the little boy's quilt done much faster. So far it's been 3 months for the OBW and 6 weeks for the I Spy quilt and I keep finding other things to do.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Well, i really appreciate knowing I am not the only one who does this to herself! I have waken up renewed and have decided to work on this quilt this morning and then clean house. (Not a hard decision...even working on a quilt I am bored with is more desirable than cleaning house. ) So, off to finish quilting this sandwich...

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
    I made four twin sized alike one time. Four granddaughters in the same house. Each one was the same with a different color sashing. I remember being really glad when they were all finished.
    I remember these quilts!! They were beautiful!! I don't remember you fussing about making them though.

Dina

I've made one (or is that 2?) identical quilts. The first one was lost in a hurricane. I found the templates i used for appliques, I improved the design, and made a few other changes, so the 2d one was better, not completely identical. But I didn't enjoy making it as much as the first one.

I have a couple more to make to replace those lost in the hurricane, but I'm not rushing to make any of them.

I think if I were to do quilts the same I'd do them in parallel. Two different tubs for material and blocks. Do the same step with each before going on. Sorta like chain piecing only keeping the two quilts separately. Then it would be like making one gigantic quilt.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I know just how you feel. I am currently working on three identical quilts for Xmas gifts all to the same family. Lots of time already spent, first I had to resize the quilt pattern to a king size. It has lots of applique and piecing. The ohio stars had to come out the same size as a resized center panel.
    Then if that wasn't enough I also had to resize the flying geese. I get tired of them and do something else then back to them. As usual I will probably wait until the last gasp of time to finish. I wish you luck, I need some too.

Okay, I finished. I didn't get the house cleaning done that I had planned....(darn...wish it was already done)...but the quilt is finished. I took a picture, and I will include it here. I now have two of these and they will look great on my twin beds....and it is finished!

Can't wait to start something else, and I am only making one of it....whatever it is!!

Thanks for your help....chocolate and music both helped (didn't have any wine or mysteries on tape on hand). Plus fussing about it seemed to put me in high gear.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast