Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I did it to myself, but..... >

I did it to myself, but.....

I did it to myself, but.....

Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Been there - done that!!! When I find myself bored, unhappy, not satisfied with the quilt I'm working on, I switch gears and work on another quilt or quilt project, sometimes just a simple table runner or topper, crib quilt, whatever, then I can get back on board with the unhappy quilt project. That's why I have many, probably too many, projects going at the same time. Since our DGD will be 3 this month, I'm trying to finish her quilt top so I can quilt it, but when I get flustered, I take a time out and sew her a dress, or other clothing. To me, variety is the spice of life, either that or I have ADHD and can't concentrate too long on any one project. LOL.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 AM

If I have a project that gets boring and I'm up to here with it, I put it away till later. If it's just a self imposed deadline, not for a wedding or something, then there's no reason to torture yourself with it. I'm sure there of lots of quilters who won't let themselves move on to something else unless the current project is finished, but I'm not be of those quilters. I think nothing kills your enthusiasm and creativity faster that plowing through a project you are tired of. Do I have a few UFO's? Yep! But I have also have pulled a lot out and finished them, and happily moved to the next project.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:46 PM

I feel your pain. I am kinda in the same spot now myself. I decided to make little dresses for the charity Little Dresses for Africa from some of my extensive stash fabric. I just sent off a box of 64 of the dresses but was still wanting to make more but I can't get geared back up again...I'm so bored with the project. Hoping my inspiration returns for this as I really want to do more with all I have.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM

Well, I feel your pain, but it would be the same if you were making a kingsized quilt - so many blocks and all the same, besides being harder to manage because of the size. Take a break and do something nice for yourself (a pedicure, maybe?). Then you'll be ready to finish it up. It just occurred to me that next time you have to make two "matching" twins, maybe you could rearrange the blocks a bit (but using the same color pallette), so it wouldn't be so boring for you. Take a deep breath... you're almost there. (And don't forget to post pictures for us!)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:08 PM

Your quilt(s) are beautiful!!

The last time I made 2 of the same - was 20 years ago. And they still aren't finished. (I still have to put the labels on). They are sitting in a closet, quilted and binded, but not given to my 2 girls. They are 19 and 23 - and both have voiced they "don't like the colors". So what is my motivation for finishing them?? None!! They were originally made to match the wall paper in their room they shared. Oh well. Maybe some day they will appreciate them. So what do I put for the date on the labels? Started 1993 - finished 2013? LOL.

Glad it all worked out for you and you can start a new project!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 AM

If I work too long on something I get bored with it, too. Or at least tired of looking at it, handling it, working on it.....so yeah, bored. No help except to just trudge on until it's done, at least for me. I know if I put it aside I'll probably never want to pick it up again.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 AM

I made 3 quilts from Marsh McClusky's Vintage Moments pattern for my 3 girls. I was bored with it by the time I got them done. All 3 were hand quilted to so I spent a lot of time working on those quilts. Two were made from 30's fabric and the third one was in batiks so that gave it a different look. It is pretty unusual for me to re-use a pattern. I like variety. I made those 3 quilts for the girls because they fought over the first one so bad. They even wanted to know who got it after I'm dead! I told them to work it out so they had a huge arguement. They came to tell me they settled it....I had to make 3 quilts! Kids......
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 AM

I had made a Jacob's Ladder-type quilt, and someone asked for another. At the class where I made the first one, we were told to make two 12" blocks at a time and then put them all together. Since it was a scrappy quilt, it was very difficult to keep fabrics from touching another just like it. When I made the second one, I made all the 4" blocks and laid them all out on my bed (design wall?). It was easy to see where two fabrics came together and change them. Then they were pinned into rows and chain stitched. The new method was exhilarating so the quilt got done a lot faster than the first.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:48 PM

has anybody mentioned a glass of wine and a whole lot of aretha franklin? or george strait? i have to sing while i'm quilting so i keep my rhythm going.