Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray basting >

Spray basting

Spray basting

Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM

if you are doing quilt as you go, i would probably not use the spray...you are going to have too much overspray.
Instead, starch and press what you have just stitched down, and pin in place (i like flat head pins). Then put your next piece on RST and stitch. once it is stitched, press open again. The only part of qayg that I may consider using 505 is to attach backing squares to batting squares if that is the process you are using. it all depends upon the technique involved. do you know what I mean?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Yes I do.

It's a very quick qayg. I am using 12 1/2" blocks. Doing just a little quilting on the blocks and sewing the blocks together.

I have starched the backing and top of the block and sandwiched them with the batting. I thought maybe the top wouldn't "slide" as much when I'm sewing the blocks together if I used the spray basting.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:29 PM

ok. i see what you mean. i usually don't spray such small pieces. but you could cut your backing squares, batting squares and piece the top squares. Then spray the batting square (or the wrong side of the backing square, whichever you prefer) and position them together, then spray the remaining side of the batting square and put your pieced square on top. It will hold it. (sometimes i put a pin or clip on the edges just so nothing gets caught on the feed dogs or presser foot when I am sliding into place on the machine).
And since you are spraying on a relatively small area, I think I would put something underneath, such as a piece of newspaper, plastic tablecloth, or even a sheet which can be thrown into the washer easily. That way you won't have as much trouble with "overspray". That is the only problem about spraying small pieces, as it only takes a light mist to make the fabric or batting sticky, and you are probably going to waste some of your spray.
Hope this helps! I'm off to clean. :cry: I'd much rather be sewing!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the information!!!

Come clean my house!!! I fractured my foot yesterday, so I won't be doing much housework.

Thanks again!!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Carol W
I fractured my foot yesterday
OUCH!!!

Hope it heals quickly! Summer is a terrible time for wearing a cast. Ask me how I know...
Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 PM

Thanks!!! It's in a compression boot right now. I can't get in to see the orthopedic until June 28th. :(

Did you have your's in a cast for the whole summer?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 PM

I use basting spray on everything I quilt! I love it and have never had a problem. I have asthma and lots of allergies so actually My DH does the spray basting for me on large pcs ; I sneak and hold my breath to do small quick pcs on occasion! Hold my breath and run outside for about 10 mins . Quilting is more important than breathing!! teehee
Old 06-18-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Carol W
Thanks for the information!!!

Come clean my house!!! I fractured my foot yesterday, so I won't be doing much housework.

Thanks again!!
Oh dear! I hope it was the left foot...then you can still put your foot up and use the pedal of your machine, right?! I hope it feels better and heals quickly!
I had shoulder surgery and 4 months of PT in November and then as I was coming out of that, I needed my gallbladder out!
So, while my DH takes good care of me and the outside of the house, he does not "clean". So you can imagine what needs doing around here!!
Feel Better!
{{{cyber hugs}}}
Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 AM

It is my left foot. Unfortunately I'm left dominant even though I write with my right hand.

I'm a dental hygienist and at work today it was really weird to have to use my right foot.

I'm going to move my sewing machine pedal over to the right to use with my right foot. We'll see how well that goes!!! LOL

I'm glad that you have a wonderful hubby to help you out!!!

Are you doing better?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:37 AM

yes, thanks! the shoulder is great and I am just now starting to get up and about after the GB. All I say is "what next?".
I hope your foot feels better and you heal quickly! I vote for time off from work and putting it up! (and sewing while you do)! :-D