Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM

I am working on a baby quilt right now, and I used a basting spray, and I have loved it. The quilt is a wholecloth quilt with nylon Tricot on the top, poly batting in the middle, and a piece of poly-cotton blend on the bottom. It is working out great. I am quilting in a hoop, so it is portable.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 AM

Do you have to wash the quilt after quilting if you spray baste?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jcrilley
Do you have to wash the quilt after quilting if you spray baste?
I don't know if you have to, I always do wash a quilt when I am done with it. Except for a couple of wall hangings, I did not wash those.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

I still pin my borders. They are the only area that might shift on me. I love basting spray.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 PM

I have used many sprays, but just bought a case of the 505 online (it was half price with no shipping) at Sewforless.com and boy is it great. It does not smell and you have to use so much less than the others. I spray the top, then the bottom, then turn over and smooth out the top again. I only pin in the four corners so they don't shift when I am putting on the binding. I do wash my quilts when they are finished. Not only to get out the spray, but to get the "crinkle" look I like...it tends to hide the imperfections in the quilting too.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks Barbara, I'm going to check this out on line
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 PM

I just sprayed a quilt together this morning :D
It was super easy, well relative to pinning, anyway. I taped the backing to my wall which was the hardest part of the whole process, since I wanted it nice and tight and straight! Then I folded the batting in half, took it outside and sprayed the upper half; stuck that to the backing; taped the bottom half up so the underside was exposed, sprayed it and stuck it down. Then I just sprayed the entire batting and stuck on my front. It's nice and smooth and stuck tightly. I've been rolling, stuffing and shoving it around all day and it's still nice and snug. No needle gum, either.
The quilt is 55x75, so a fair size; and the spray is 505.
This is the second quilt I've done from this can, and there's still a good shaking left inside but I won't start a third without another can on hand.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I prefer the 505 also for all the reasons mentioned. Depending on the size of the quilt, I might pin it a few times. I then usually sew my SID going both directions to secure the whole thing. I flip it several times and if I see any wrinkles...I just lift the offending part and smooth it with my hands.

I always wash after using the spray...especially if it is for a baby. You just never know! :D
Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 PM

How long does the 505 last? I am using Sulky now for my embrodery basting but when I used it on a quilt I found it only stayed stuck for a few days at most. Since I hand quilt that just won't work!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
How long does the 505 last? I am using Sulky now for my embrodery basting but when I used it on a quilt I found it only stayed stuck for a few days at most. Since I hand quilt that just won't work!
I've never had 505 come apart on me except around the edges, and it's likely my fault that I just didn't spray the edges well enough as I'm afraid to get too much spray on the floor!