Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Spray Basting

Sometimes for guey sticker/lables and sticky things, I use lighter fluid and it works great and doesn't destroy anything. Perhaps giving that a try will work

W-D 40 or Antibacterial hand sanitizer might work. I use the hand sanitizer for everything sticky.

Blog Entries
    I tried goo gone and it did not do as well as Simple Green. But hey, anything is worth a try. You never know depending on the area that needs cleaning and what it is made of.

Blog Entries
    Ok I just tried my first spray basting. Was thrilled with it, said I will never use a pin again. ... Then I turned it over and realized that the baking had come off and was not glued to the batting and I was all puckered in the back.UHHHH what to do.... Learned a lesson though. Always start in the middle and work out but since others had said that the sides are what come apart I decided to do around the edges. Well, I fixed it and finished it. I think that it came out OK, will post pics tomorrow.

I use Goo Gone and it worked great!

Would you spray baste, even if your hand quilting? Seems to me it wouldn't hold well enough for that.

I believe it would work. After I spray basted I let it dry for about an hour and then I started free motion quilting and it held together very well, I had no problem.

Another question on basting.....after you spray & you want to start quilting do you cut off the excess edges? I found that if I leavethe edges on I get some of the sticky spray on my new bernina acrylic arm. What do you do??

Quote Originally Posted by irma tapia
    I have never used the spray for basting so..........

do any of you use pins (safety pins) after you spray the pieces together? Which do you think is the best way?
    I'm reading this thread about a month late so I hope you get my reply! I spray baste but use Sharon Schamber's method of putting a quilt together with 2 planks of wood. One of you guys told us about the method - it's on youtube and I'm very grateful. Where she hand bastes I spray and I'm really pleased with the results. The backing, wadding and top are all smooth - I could never get it like that before despite 'hundreds' of pins! Also, I ran out of basting spray on the last quilt so asked MIL for her hairspray and it worked - I was afraid it would gum up the needle but it was fine. So no more 505 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by irma tapia
    Another question on basting.....after you spray & you want to start quilting do you cut off the excess edges? I found that if I leavethe edges on I get some of the sticky spray on my new bernina acrylic arm. What do you do??
    No I leave the backing about 3 inches bigger and the wadding just a bit less than that. By the way, have you tried using a silicon baking sheet taped to the bed of your machine? You can buy specially made ones but this works. Just slide it under presser foot, position it, put needle through it once, remove and push a fine knitting needle through just to enlarge the hole a little bit, replace and tape down using masking tape. It really makes free maching so much easier - the fabric just glides. Then if it does get a bit sticky it's washable in hot soapy water.

Thanks for the info....good to know. Next time I baste I think I will try hair spray, if it works ok it sure will be a lot cheaper

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4