Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Can Starch >

Spray Can Starch

Spray Can Starch

Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Default Spray Can Starch

Okay, this is a weird one. I've got an older can of spray starch I've been using for the past month, I've only got a few uses left in it and I'm not one to throw anything out until it's completely empty, but I'm going to have to with this can.

Last few days I've noticed I've got red spots on my ironing table, they're very small and when I went to wash the fabric I was using, they came right out. Also noticed that on the occasion, I was getting drops of something slightly oily and sticky on my sewing machine, my tablet and my phone, so it's been driving me crazy trying to figure out what was going on.

My can of starch was spitting out rust colored starch, I noticed it after I sprayed it on a white pillowcase accidentally. Luckily, I'm working on a hexie quilt that has a dark red fabric and after I looked closely at the hexies, I'm happy to say that there weren't any spots on it. Big sigh of relief!

I can't get anymore starch until the first of the year, but it was no biggie to make up some more, I just used a Febreze bottle that was just about empty and poured the cornstarch/water mix into it. So now all my pieces are coming out smelling better than ever, which I'm completely okay with, but seriously wondering has anyone come across this issue?
Old 12-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Sorry, never had that problem. But I only use non-aerosol Niagra, comes in a plastic pump bottle, no metal to rust. Love the stuff, and my family likes how it smells.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

The metal nozzle inside the can rusted. Starch is mostly water. The can was probably old on the shelf when bought or sat in a warehouse a long time. When you get your new can buying a bottle of Sta Flo liquid starch, Walmart has it, would be a good idea to keep on hand. I have noticed it's almost impossible to find spray starch as strong as it use to be, most is ironing spray with a little starch.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:20 AM

I rarely use starch so I have never had that problem but I do agree with Onebyone that the nozzle probably became rusty. I use Best Press when I need starch and everything on the bottle seems to be plastic
Old 12-21-2019, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Sorry, never had that problem. But I only use non-aerosol Niagra, comes in a plastic pump bottle, no metal to rust. Love the stuff, and my family likes how it smells.
I'm with you Peckish, it's the only one my family doesn't complain about the smell. Love that stuff.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:56 AM

I don't care for canned starch as no matter how I use it when I go to press the item I get starch on the bottom of my iron. I normally spray on the backside, let it soak in and sometimes even dry then spritz with water before pressing. Still I get a buildup on the bottom of my iron so I've gone back to my home-made stuff using vodka and liquid starch. I might get some buildup but not as much as with canned starch.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When you get your new can buying a bottle of Sta Flo liquid starch, Walmart has it, would be a good idea to keep on hand. I have noticed it's almost impossible to find spray starch as strong as it use to be, most is ironing spray with a little starch.
I do intend on going with Sta Flo starch, they've got a 64oz. jug of it for like $3.00, super concentrated and I have a plastic spray bottle I'm going to use for it. I'm actually glad it kind of happened in a way, I can finally get rid of the aerosol can, which I never really liked anyway but bought it when I was in the laundry aisle and remembered I needed it, so I just grabbed it on the way by.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Nothing beats the smell of freshly laundered and starched clothes....or in this case, fabric, lol.

Niagra is the brand I just used, wasn't aware it also came in a plastic pump bottle but I was in a hurry when I picked up the can.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

The Niagara in the pump bottle is hard to find in my area for some reason. It use to be in several stores. Walmart here doesn't stock it. All Walmart here has is Faultless and Magic Sizing. I like Magic Sizing too.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I seldom use starch of any kind but, I do use magic sizing, not often.