Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Starch Alternative >

Spray Starch Alternative

Spray Starch Alternative

Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 AM

I bought a bottle of liquid starch and mixed with water. Put it in a spray bottle and shake
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Magic brand sizing is good and not expensive. I actually have all three products in my sewing room. It depends on what the need is at the moment. I've not had a bug problem but I did wash all the starch out of my stash. I like to pre-wash and starch, but now I just pre-wash. I really like a stiff fabric to sew on, and Best Press is too expensive to use liberally. Just my two cents.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM

I am like everyone else I use my starch and encourage all my beginners to do the same for a good block. Never had a problem with bugs. If you are worried about the starch wash the quilt when you are done to get it our to your quilt.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:53 AM

I tried Mary Ellen's and developed a skin rash. I will stick with starch. Besides when on a fixed budget, Mary Ellen's costs way too much.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 PM

I love the Niagra, and I keep all my fabric, washed stored and ironed with only water spritzed to press it. When I use the niagra is just before cutting, when I press it again. Everything is stored in plastic storage containers. I have never had any problem with any kinds of "varmints". I always wash my quilts when done.

Last edited by patdesign; 01-24-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Here in Wisconsin the bugs haven't been attracted to the starch. But then i don't use it lots. Magic Sizing is much better for getting out wrinkles AND adding a little body.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 PM

We have a Guild member that shared a "starch" formula--a jigger (about 1 oz) of cheap vodka in a quart spray bottle of water--you can add some lavendar oil to give it scent.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM

If you are close to Paducah, KY there are lots of great Quilt shops there, along with Eleanor Burns' Quilt in a Day Shop. In April, they have a wonderful Quilt Show there!

Kathy

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I sure wish that I could buy Niagara starch in Canada. I've looked everywhere including Wal-mart. I can't find the big jugs of the liquid starch or even the aerosol. All I can find is the canned spray stuff ($3.29) at the grocery store near the army base and it's not Niagara (something made in China which annoys me no end as we grow plenty of corn in Ontario). My hubby wants to go to Kentucky in February for the farm show and I know what I will be declaring at the border. I hope they don't want to confiscate it thinking that it is for some devious purpose.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM

I sometimes just mix a tsp of cornstarch with a quart of water and put in a spray bottle. It works fine. Other times I use magic sizing or Niagra and that works well. Best Press is nice but I think to expensive for every day quilting. It is a nice treat sometimes, as I do like the smell. Grace
Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I use Magic brand sizing. Can buy it at WalMart for around a dollar a can. I can spray a few times if I need something really stiff. Does not attract bugs, and is priced right! The ME stuff is an occasional splurge~~
I'm with you, I like Magic sizing but sometimes do use Mary Ellen's for subborn wrinkles. When using spray starch I had trouble with it flaking but I understand I need to wait until it dries some before ironing, I'm too impatient so went back to Magic sizing!