Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Starch? >

Spray Starch?

Spray Starch?

Old 09-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
I recently bought a bottle of Niagara non-aerosol spray and love it. Be careful though if you have a laminate or wood floor under the ironing surface. It gets VERY slippery.
I know what you mean about the spray starch making your floor slippery. I had a bad fall on the slippery floor near my ironing board. I am now very, very careful with spray starch.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM

I purchase Niagara in spray bottles - not aerosol cans. Then, I cut the Niagara 50/50 with water.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 PM

I love using the Niagra spray. I do like most, spray the fabric and let it almost dry before ironing. I also use Sta-Flo if I want a really heavy starch. Just have a higher amount of starch than water.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 AM

I use Best Press for everything...no flakes and I always buy the Rose or Lavendar scented.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:14 AM

I agree with Marty. I make my own spray starch with Sta-Flo. That way I can control how heavy or light I want it to be. When I buy it at WalMart, I generally pick up 2-3 big bottles at a time. I love working with fabric that's been starched, and it keeps it from stretching out, especially on biased edges.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
...stiff as card stock......I just cannot imagine working with fabric that feels like that. But that is just me. I have been a quilter for a long time and I have never used starch to stiffen my fabric and have made many quilts, in many different patterns, some more of a challenge, but all came out fine.

me either on the stiffness.

why do you want the fabric so stiff? How long does it last? doesn't't that make th quilt stiff?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

All been said. Just keep spraying.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 AM

I've been told not to use starch on fabric/thread items(quilts, crocheted items, heirloom pieces) you wish to store. Supposedly, Bugs are drawn to the starch and will eat the starch & threads under it. Has anyone else ever heard/experienced this?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:05 AM

I use liquid Sta-Flo and just mix it with water for light, med or heavy. I'm working on a Grandmothers Flower Garden right now and I'm using Sta-Flo full strength on each hexie so I can remove my mylar template which makes sewing them together easier. Learned a long time ago to spray starch on back of clothing then ironing on front - that way if you got flakes they were on the inside.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by star619 View Post
I've been told not to use starch on fabric/thread items(quilts, crocheted items, heirloom pieces) you wish to store. Supposedly, Bugs are drawn to the starch and will eat the starch & threads under it. Has anyone else ever heard/experienced this?
Apparently it depends on what area of the country you're in. I did find silverfish, so I don't store starched fabrics. There are others who say they haven't had any problems.