Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Starch? >

Spray Starch?

Spray Starch?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:13 AM

I made the silly mistake of stiffly starching fabric off grain. I didn't notice until I had made a few strip cuts. I did not want to put the strips in the washing machine as that would have created another problem. So I tried to rinse it out in the sink. But I couldn't tell if it was rinsed out until it had dried...still stiff. So after a few tries, I just gave up on the fabric strips and just put the rest of the yardage in the washing machine.

I also discovered that I don't like working with stiff fabric. I love the feel of the cloth in my hands as I work. While stiff fabric results with more perfect sewing, I've already reached the understanding that no matter how I try, I will never have a perfect quilt. "Good enough" is fine with me. Trying to reach a higher standard was stressing me out. I do use Mary Ellen's when I really need the extra help...like when I'm working with a cheaper fabric and it frays a lot and the corners fray so much that they really don't resemble corners any more. Now I have carpet in my sewing room. I put a towel down around my ironing board to catch the over-spray. Washing carpet is not something I like to do.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Now I know why I get white flakes...Thank-you...QB is the best!
Originally Posted by Reb View Post
I haven't gotten the flakes. But I think the trick is that I haven't waited for it to soak in. Thank you all!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Reb

Originally Posted by star619 View Post
I've been told not to use starch on fabric/thread items(quilts, crocheted items, heirloom pieces) you wish to store. Supposedly, Bugs are drawn to the starch and will eat the starch & threads under it. Has anyone else ever heard/experienced this?
I sprayed the entire piece of fabric. Now I will have a piece left over that is starched.
1. Is the bug problem true for homemade starch only? Or will Niagara draw them too?
2. What do you do, wash the scrap fabric before storing it?
3. Was I supposed to wait and only starch the cut pieces?