Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spring Inc, Material from Joann's

I was just at a WalMart in Michigan the other day and bought 3 pieces of Springs fabric. It is absolutely gorgeous fabric, in color and content. The clerk said people have been buying it and she had some also and loves it. I wonder if this is the same fabric ? It was on sale for $3 a yard, down from $4.97 a yard. I only bought some for purses. I always feel my fabric and this fabric was fabulous.

I didn't check the brand name, but I saw some fabric at Joann's that had a beautiful print that I really wanted, but when I looked closely I was shocked at how thin and feeble it was, especially since the price (before the "sale" discount) put it right up against prices in our LQS. On the other hand, I bought some other fabric at Joann's recently with the name "April Cornell" on the selvage that I'm very happy with. I don't remember how the price compared, but I don't think it was overpriced at all, at least not considering the "sale".

I think it would be great if we had a law preventing companies from using their long-trusted brand names after they have moved the manufacturing offshore and reduced the quality. To continue to use that trusted name is deceptive, IMO. Also deceptive and despicable are companies gradually shrinking the size of their products, such as fabric being woven a few inches narrower than we're used to, which could really mess up a lot of our planning, if we can't cut as many pieces across the width!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I have some older Spring or Springs fabrics - and they are - in my opinion - very usable.

Has the quality changed over the years?
    I also have used Spring in the past and don't remember it being this bad.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I don't think they will take it back because I cut two 74 inch lengths and sewe.d them together and cut out 8 bnding strips
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
    This has been my experience at Connecting Threads as well. I haven't shopped at JoAnn's in at least 10 years so I can't comment about their products. I'm sorry you received such inferior fabric. Will they take it back? Connecting Threads will take custom cuts back, no problem.
    Suzanne

Feeble is a good way to discribe the material I am talking about. I just wrote to Spring Inc, about the problem and I got my fabric and receipt ready to take back to Joanns this week end. I live 240 miles from Joanns in Phoenix. I will let everyone know what happens about this. Thanks to all of you for the help.
    Suzanne

Joann's will let you return fabric as long as it is not washed or cut.
    :-)
    CAS

Thanks for sharing all this info with us! I had no clue about Spring products! I have bought fabric from CT also, and no complaints from me! They are great!
    "Enjoy the Moments that make you Smile!"

I like Connecting Threads.

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    I order from Fabric.com and have been very pleased with them, both in quality and customer service. And you get free shipping over $35 ordered....not affiliated, just happy with them...
    I too have great luck shopping Fabric.com - and if I am looking for a particular line of fabrics it is so easy. And customer service can't be beat.

Could be. I've noticed that Moda is not what it used to be even though the price is astronomical. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I have some older Spring or Springs fabrics - and they are - in my opinion - very usable.

Has the quality changed over the years?

I disagree. I find CT fabrics comparable to my LQS. To each their own!!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Connecting threads is very similar quality to Joannes IMO.

TAKE IT BACK!!!! Even if you have cut and sewn it......then write to the company that made the fabric and ask for a refund.

Good luck!

delma

I buy a lot of fabric from Connecting Thread and am very happy with it. At least their own lines are good. I have gotten some other fabric that they had on clearance and it was very stiff. I bought some fabric from JoAnns last week to make a dress for my granddaughter. Luckily I prewash my fabric because the fabric was a grey with a mauve print and after washing the mauve print was completely washed away. Not happy about that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieC View Post
    Thanks for the info on the "spring" fabric.

I've ordered from CT for almost 2 years and I love them. They have been VERY helpful and have always addressed any issue I've had.

When I'm getting ready to invest (like 15 yards of a fabric for a project) I order a FQ of the selection of fabrics I'm considering from CT. That way I can "feel" them and see them. Then I order. I can always use FQ for a stash builder.
    What an excellent idea Carrie. Thanks for posting it.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Quote Originally Posted by paulettepoe View Post
    SO far, what i have ordered from Connecting Threads has been great. ...just sayin.
    Same here.....good prices too!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Froggy, I so agree with you about Moda. Its just not what it used to be even 2 years ago.
    Carol

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    What have you noticed that's different about the Moda fabrics?

Blog Entries
    Becca,

I want you to know that at first I was VERY leery of buying fabric
    online and from Connecting Threads.

So I bought 1/2 yard of some that was on sale to bring my order
    up to free shipping status.

Let me tell you that I LOVE the feel of their fabric, it has a really nice
    soft feel to it. When ever I buy any now I sit and rub the fabric for a
    long time before I put it away.

Its not often I find fabric that MAKES me want to just sit and touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I'm leery of ordering online....I want to touch & feel the fabric...
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I have not ordered from Connecting Threads yet. I am glad to see that many of you use their fabric and like it. I have gotten some fabric from JoAnn's that I am happy with and some that was not so good. I usually try to stick to buying from quilt shops. I just think the quality is generally better.

Norma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieC View Post
    Thanks for the info on the "spring" fabric.

I've ordered from CT for almost 2 years and I love them. They have been VERY helpful and have always addressed any issue I've had.

When I'm getting ready to invest (like 15 yards of a fabric for a project) I order a FQ of the selection of fabrics I'm considering from CT. That way I can "feel" them and see them. Then I order. I can always use FQ for a stash builder.
    This is a good idea, i do it also, especially for colors, on the computer they seem red (I love reds) but when i purchase a fat quarter i can feel and see.
    Mary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2