Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spring Inc, Material from Joann's

Thumbs up Spring Inc, Material from Joann's

My daughter picked out some fabric for the back of her Quilt(One Block Wonder) that is finished and ready to be quilted. This fabric is so bad quality, I stopped pressing it and I am not going to use it. It is the worst I have seen. $30.00 for 5 and 1/2 yrds. I cut it and sewed two 74 inch pieces together and was pressing and starching. I spent so many hours on the quilt top and decided, No Way). I don't know why I was not more carefull when we picked it out. I ordered something else from Connecting Threads. first time I got junk from Joanns.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I agree I avoid any thing that has Spring in the selvage. There was a time they (Spring) used a better griege goods( base fabric) , but I find the stuff now is some of the thinnest I have ever seen.

A lot of the Spring fabrics are cotton/polyester mix as well.

Connecting threads is very similar quality to Joannes IMO.

I'm leery of ordering online....I want to touch & feel the fabric...
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

SO far, what i have ordered from Connecting Threads has been great. ...just sayin.
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulettepoe View Post
    SO far, what i have ordered from Connecting Threads has been great. ...just sayin.
    I order from CT a lot and hve never regretted it
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

I'm glad to know about the "spring"; thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the info on the "spring" fabric.

I've ordered from CT for almost 2 years and I love them. They have been VERY helpful and have always addressed any issue I've had.

When I'm getting ready to invest (like 15 yards of a fabric for a project) I order a FQ of the selection of fabrics I'm considering from CT. That way I can "feel" them and see them. Then I order. I can always use FQ for a stash builder.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Power Poster
    I have some older Spring or Springs fabrics - and they are - in my opinion - very usable.

Has the quality changed over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Connecting threads is very similar quality to Joannes IMO.
    I agree with you. Maybe I should order from them again to see if the quality has changed.
    Sandra

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I have some older Spring or Springs fabrics - and they are - in my opinion - very usable.

Has the quality changed over the years?
    Yes it has changed. Interesting that after this topic was posted I was playing in my stash last night , and I have some very vintage Jo'Ann .. Spring manufactured fabrics . I also had a piece of a current Spring fabric that was given to me. HUGE difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LilaKay View Post
    I order from CT a lot and hve never regretted it
    This has been my experience at Connecting Threads as well. I haven't shopped at JoAnn's in at least 10 years so I can't comment about their products. I'm sorry you received such inferior fabric. Will they take it back? Connecting Threads will take custom cuts back, no problem.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

I have a piece of Spring fabric. I didn't think it was as good as fabric from my LQS but not as bad as some of the stuff I've seen at Joann's.

Blog Entries
    Spring is very thin and not too practical. I have found that alot of JA fabrics are getting worse. I have to really search to find the quality lately.
    Bonnie

Same here... & trust me, I've gotten LOTS of it... LOL! Plus good customer service.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I order from Fabric.com and have been very pleased with them, both in quality and customer service. And you get free shipping over $35 ordered....not affiliated, just happy with them...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

My girlfriend had fabric that she had cut up and then realized it wasn't the quality she wanted in her project, she took it back to Joannes with her receipt and they refunded her money.

Blog Entries
    I agree - never a problem with Connecting Threads fabric.
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    My CThreads order of flannel arrived a few days ago. I'd never ordered flannel from them and was a bit worried, although the fabric was for charity fabrics. Still, I don't give away what I wouldn't want myself. What a joy! The flannel had a nice heft and when I washed it, colors stayed true and the nap fluffed nicely! Ordering from CThreads is my "go to" place when I don't want to drive to the LQS (30 minutes each way, minimum).

Don't laugh... The following is from Springs website. http://www.springscreative.com/
    I agree that sometimes their fabric is poor quality. Maybe if we complain,they'll do something about it?

"Quilting

Since quilters are among the most discerning of sewers, we take great pride in offering the most unique designs on the finest quality high thread count all-cotton fabrics. Our manufacturing techniques include fade-resistant fiber-reactive dyes in vivid long lasting colors. With Springs Creative quilting fabrics and project sheets, you can make every quilt an heirloom!"

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
    I'm leery of ordering online....I want to touch & feel the fabric...
    You really need to get over this. I too used to be this way so I started paying attention to manufacturers I really like and have consistant products. Now I order on line much more than I buy in person at an LQS. I have gotten LQS name brand fabrics for as little as 3.50 per yard when hitting a good sale of older discontinued lines. On line shopping is the BEST! You can shop in your jammies from the comfort of home at any time day or night and in a few days it is like Christmas with a package at your doorstep full of lovely fabrics. Just start paying attention to the info on the selvedge the next time you go fabric shopping at an LQS and see what brands you like. I have yet to get a bad apple on line. Additionally, most on line sources I have dealt with do not hesitate to take the stuff back if you are disappointed. You will, however, be out the shipping charges and will have to pay for shipping to send back, unless of course it was their mistake, and often, in my experience when something like that happens they have let me keep what they sent by mistake and simply reshipped the right stuff. This has happened to me with Fabric depot, connecting threads and most recently with Thousands of Bolts it was a wide back so a lot of yardage. I decided to keep the one they sent as I liked it so much, so they gave me a $10 GC.

I don't blame you after all that work!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I live in a town the was all Springs for a long long time. We had (notice that word had) a cotton mill, a bleachery and Springs store. Everything was done here. Col. Springs - idea of hard - when things got bad he built warehouses and kept making. The quality was very good. We also had a section at the bleachery that made sheets and pillow cases, another building that made comforters, etc. Then the younger Springs crowd (last name Close) decided they would move everything overseas. Now it is all JUNK. If it has Springs in the selvage it is from China or Mexico. Maybe other places but those are some locations. Can't even find decent sheets anymore. It's really a shame. The clothing made over there is also JUNK. Also since I'm on a run - even their customer service center has also moved overseas. For many a year they blocked any other type of industry from coming here. Now we have very little industry and our town has really suffered from all the moves. Such a shame for a family to tear down all its forefather created.
    Love to quilt

Gloria C

thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast