Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Square Quilts

Square Quilts

Why are so many full-size quilts square? (Humans aren't shaped like that, at least most of us aren't.) It seems I always have to add a couple of rows of length (and recalculate the fabric requirements) to make a "normal" quilt.)

What would you say are the ideal dimensions for a quilt that will primarily be used for people to wrap themselves up to read, watch TV, sit on a porch swing, etc.? It can also be put on a bed, but that's secondary to the "cuddle" application.

I think it's because they look symmetrical. Most quilt blocks are squares so it's just easier and sometimes gives the patterns a more pleasing look. I'm like you though, and just add another row or two to make it longer.

As to your second question, I think it's personal preference and the size of the person using it. Still I would go more for a twin or full size if I want it for the bed and for cuddling.
    Sue

King sized beds and bed covers are pretty square.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I relate it a lot preference and necessity. Some want a crib quilt large enough so the child can grow with it till the age of 5 or 6. I like my quilts to be the size of a spread. Some only want it to cover the top of the bed.

60-72 is a great cuddle size.

I'm making a square queen size for my older son as it will be a zigzag effect then he can turn it either crossways or up and down, whichever he chooses.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

I always make mine longer even if I have to add to the pattern...I`m with you....I prefer my quilts not to be square....I make mine bed sized too , even if it is a lap quilt...just my preference...
    Quote Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
    Why are so many full-size quilts square? (Humans aren't shaped like that, at least most of us aren't.) It seems I always have to add a couple of rows of length (and recalculate the fabric requirements) to make a "normal" quilt.)

What would you say are the ideal dimensions for a quilt that will primarily be used for people to wrap themselves up to read, watch TV, sit on a porch swing, etc.? It can also be put on a bed, but that's secondary to the "cuddle" application.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I like square quilts. i often use a pretty patterned quilt (square shape) set on point over the plain and functional duvet on my queen or king beds. I like square quilts to use as wall quilts, because I can rotate which side is up and relieve the stress on the quilt from hanging. I like them over the back of a couch for snuggle quilts-- we're not cocooning with our heads wrapped up in the quilt, so a 60 or 72 inch square works nicely over the legs and feet for a couple of people sitting together. Squares make nice blanket forts on our deck. My quilts are meant to be flexible and they move fluidly around the house -- so I don't care about how precisely they fit a given size of bed. I think some of the most awkward quilt design I see is a result of just adding border to make it fit a bed.

You have to make it to fit the size of the mattress. I normally let the batting be my guide to the size. Batting size for a double bed is 81" x 96".
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I like square throw quilts. I guess I like the symmetry (mathematician here). My throws are about 60-65". If I need them bigger when I use them, I just put them on the diagonal. Bed quilts are shaped to fit the bed. I will say that we don't have any very tall people in our family.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    You have to make it to fit the size of the mattress.
    You must know some oddly-shaped people.

I think the pattern looks better in a square. But I refuse to make them square. I like a 48-54 x 72 throw size. So when I consider a pattern I look at the square sizes and figure out if I can make them a rectangle. If I can't I don't make it.

I like square quilts, and they fit very nicely on the king and queen beds I have. I also like them for using on the couch because I don't have to turn them the right way to get enough length. Square baby quilts are easier to swaddle. In the "olden" days, quilts were often long and narrow because beds were long and narrow, and mattresses were thin, but that is no longer the case. I don't understand why you would think that square quilts are not normal. Are you a member of the dreaded quilt police?

I think it is a question of aesthetics. I bought a Sunbonnet pattern that was a rectangle. I didn't want it to be a rectangle, so I changed the number of columns & rows and added some extras to the quilt to make it the shape I enjoy.

Is my niece square-shaped? No! But she isn't rectangle-shaped either, so I figure it's a wash.

If you like a particular pattern, but prefer quilts that are long & narrow, why not just add a few more rows of blocks &/or take away some columns of blocks until it is the approximate size you'd like?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RST View Post
    - - - we're not cocooning with our heads wrapped up in the quilt, - - - -.
    We do. Occasionally - okay, frequently - one of us goes to the couch to sleep. Sometimes our living room is chilly. I like to tuck the quilt over my feet and over my head - at the same time.

I make quilts to fit the mattress and also to suit the recipient. Some just the quilt to cover the mattress top, some like to cover the mattress sides and some like the quilt to be floor length.....there are so many variables! Sometimes I end up making a "queen sized" quilt for a double bed. I also like to wrap up in my quilts, tucking everything in so no cold air on the toes....so I want a large quilt for my twin bed!

I like 60x90 for throw quilts. That is long enough to wrap your feet up and tuck in the sides. I do make 96ish square for queen and 115ish square for King beds. Baby quilts are whatever I feel like for length and wof for width.

My mother was a very prolific quilter and NEVER made square quilts. She said no one likes cold feet, and that's my sentiment too. Maybe for a wall quilt, but never for a bed or a throw.

I like squares for throws and lap quilts, same thing? For beds I like them to be longer and always make the drop more than the pattern calls for as I want it to shine.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Blog Entries
    I like about 10 to 15 inches difference.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    thats just like when most people do fleece blankets. If you read the directions for fabric amounts it says 2 yards, well most of my kids are either close to or above 6ft, tall, 2 yds won't cut it. I get them either 3 or 3 1/2 yards to make sure they can snuggle in them and be warm.
    Judy

I used to feel the way OP does, but found out that a square quilt fits my queen bed much better if there is no pillow tuck. I don't want the quilt above my head, just around my neck securely.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I make most of my lap size quilts.........60 x 70-75 as I have a kitty that likes to join me when I cuddled under mine. I also make my baby quilts about the same size so they can grow into them. They grow so fast that if I made them smaller, they wouldn't get the full use out of it.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I wondered about that when I recently made a baby quilt for a neighbor. I made it 40 x 48" - mostly because it's a tumbling blocks and I had had enough at that point. (But also because babies are almost square.) Sorry for the duplication; can't seem to remove the quilt top photo.
    Name:  Tumbling Blocks 013.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  1.03 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Manalto; 10-27-2015 at 05:49 AM.

My GD's boyfriend comes from a family of tall people--all way over 6'. I've made her quilt very long, just in case.

No right or wrong, just do what you feel and have fun doing it!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast