Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-quilts-t271514.html)

Manalto 10-26-2015 09:23 AM

Square Quilts

Why are so many full-size quilts square? (Humans aren't shaped like that, at least most of us aren't.) It seems I always have to add a couple of rows of length (and recalculate the fabric requirements) to make a "normal" quilt.)

What would you say are the ideal dimensions for a quilt that will primarily be used for people to wrap themselves up to read, watch TV, sit on a porch swing, etc.? It can also be put on a bed, but that's secondary to the "cuddle" application.

SuziSew 10-26-2015 09:41 AM

I think it's because they look symmetrical. Most quilt blocks are squares so it's just easier and sometimes gives the patterns a more pleasing look. I'm like you though, and just add another row or two to make it longer.

As to your second question, I think it's personal preference and the size of the person using it. Still I would go more for a twin or full size if I want it for the bed and for cuddling.

sewbizgirl 10-26-2015 09:51 AM

King sized beds and bed covers are pretty square.

tessagin 10-26-2015 09:51 AM

I relate it a lot preference and necessity. Some want a crib quilt large enough so the child can grow with it till the age of 5 or 6. I like my quilts to be the size of a spread. Some only want it to cover the top of the bed.

Tiggersmom 10-26-2015 09:54 AM

60-72 is a great cuddle size.

I'm making a square queen size for my older son as it will be a zigzag effect then he can turn it either crossways or up and down, whichever he chooses.

huntannette 10-26-2015 09:55 AM

I always make mine longer even if I have to add to the pattern...I`m with you....I prefer my quilts not to be square....I make mine bed sized too , even if it is a lap quilt...just my preference...

Originally Posted by Manalto (Post 7356588)
Why are so many full-size quilts square? (Humans aren't shaped like that, at least most of us aren't.) It seems I always have to add a couple of rows of length (and recalculate the fabric requirements) to make a "normal" quilt.)

What would you say are the ideal dimensions for a quilt that will primarily be used for people to wrap themselves up to read, watch TV, sit on a porch swing, etc.? It can also be put on a bed, but that's secondary to the "cuddle" application.

RST 10-26-2015 09:57 AM

I like square quilts. i often use a pretty patterned quilt (square shape) set on point over the plain and functional duvet on my queen or king beds. I like square quilts to use as wall quilts, because I can rotate which side is up and relieve the stress on the quilt from hanging. I like them over the back of a couch for snuggle quilts-- we're not cocooning with our heads wrapped up in the quilt, so a 60 or 72 inch square works nicely over the legs and feet for a couple of people sitting together. Squares make nice blanket forts on our deck. My quilts are meant to be flexible and they move fluidly around the house -- so I don't care about how precisely they fit a given size of bed. I think some of the most awkward quilt design I see is a result of just adding border to make it fit a bed.

ManiacQuilter2 10-26-2015 10:15 AM

You have to make it to fit the size of the mattress. I normally let the batting be my guide to the size. Batting size for a double bed is 81" x 96".

PaperPrincess 10-26-2015 10:31 AM

I like square throw quilts. I guess I like the symmetry (mathematician here). My throws are about 60-65". If I need them bigger when I use them, I just put them on the diagonal. Bed quilts are shaped to fit the bed. I will say that we don't have any very tall people in our family.

Manalto 10-26-2015 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7356673)
You have to make it to fit the size of the mattress.

You must know some oddly-shaped people.